MPLAB IDE vX.XX - ICD3Err0016: Cannot Transmit. ICD 3 Not Found.

MrFitzz

Basically I installed MPLAB IDE v8.92 on a PC and then installed the MPLAB IDE X v2.15 software along side it.

Now when the user connected the ICD 3 Hardware and then launched the MPLAB software, they kept getting the following message when attempting to debug -

MPLAB ICD 3 detected
Connecting to MPLAB ICD 3...
ICD3Err0016: Cannot transmit. ICD 3 not found.

ICD3Err0038: Failed to intialize ICD 3.

Failed to properly connect to ICD 3

When I connect the ICD 3 hardware I usually get the option to point the ICD 3 Hardware to this location - 'C:\Program Files\Microchip\\MPLAB IDE\ICD3'...but the user said it installed itself and they didnt have to do anything.
However, the ICD 3 Hardware was picking up Windows drivers from C:\Windows\System32 which I later found out - even removing the software and re-installing didnt fix this issue as it remembered the windows drivers fromt he previous time it connected.

I eventually got round the problem by going into Device Manager and right mouse clicking on the Microchip driver and selecting un-install...I then checked the box which said 'remove driver software...' which gave me the chance to tell the hardware where to look for the driver, rather than automatically choosing the Windows pre-installed drivers.

I tested the software once more and it now worked fine.

***I couldnt find this out anywhere, even on the Official Microchip website so thought I'd post this here***

Back