Ms fake antivirus

Hi all just helped a friend with an infected laptop,it had the MS FAKE ANTIVIRUS,i used rkill to kill it then malwarebytes and superantispyware to disinfect it,but hears the problem the wireless would not work so i went to device manager but everything seemed OK but could still not get wireless to work but worked when directly connected to the Internet modem,so i reinstalled the wireless drivers but still no,i then used a wireless adapter but it still would not work,so done a system restore to before the infection and it worked.Anyone know what went on hear??????????? :p

looks like the MS Antivirus messed up the drivers in some way, this also goes in to your registry and does all sorts, i sorted the same problem for my bro-in-law. I used malwarebytes, and AVG 2011, i got rid of it by booting in to safe mode with networking, his wireless connection was fine.

I hate it when things like this happen to computers.

Along with j4v3d's good advice, a lot of these rogue antiviruses set Internet settings to use a proxy which can effectively stop you connecting to the net. So always check your network connection settings in your Internet options.

Windows Fix Disk Trojan/Virus

Hello guys,

Just managed to get rid of the above trojan/virus after it disabled my computer from doing virtually anything! I have no idea how it even got onto the system. Anyhow, if anyone is in the same situation, go to this site for the solution. There are a few files to download, but I can confirm they work perfectly ... so far so good and no sign of the problems...

bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-windowsfixdisk

Regards,
Lesta_SMSC

Windows Fix Disk Trojan/Virus

Are you and paddybongo referring to the same issue here?

I fully appreciate you are trying to be helpful here but I just want to clarify in order to avoid any future confusion?

paddybongo is talking about a "Fake Antivirus" & you are referring to "Windows Fix Disk"

Are both the same Trojan infection?

gman that got me confused as well, if you had the fake ms antivirus you just need to go in to safe mode with networking download malwarebytes do a scan and remove the crap off your laptop, restart and your done.

dont know what you referring to about Windows Fix Disk

safe mode!

Dee are you asking what safe mode is??? If so when you have infections/viruses etc its always best to start pc in safe mode! One of the F keys on your keyboard - Gman will explain in better detail

Dee are you asking what safe mode is??? If so when you have infections/viruses etc its always best to start pc in safe mode! One of the F keys on your keyboard - Gman will explain in better detail

i think dee might have been referring to booting your computer in to Safe Mode lol

nope im just asking as the other seems to have picked up a similar virus, what i did last time is`nt working on this one, so whats safe mode, im not that good with pcs jv

nope im just asking as the other seems to have picked up a similar virus, what i did last time is`nt working on this one, so whats safe mode, im not that good with pcs jv

In safe mode, only device drivers for components that are absolutely necessary to perform basic functions are loaded (i.e. keyboard, mouse). Drivers for Networking, sound cards, and video are examples of drivers that do not get loaded. The system starts in basic VGA mode only. In safe mode with networking, device drivers related to networking are also loaded so that you can access network services while in safe mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
googled it safe mode for windows7 is f8, of out in a bit to pay some bills will give it ago when i get back in, bout 25 mins will let you no, malwarebytes is all ready loaded, cheers for the info jv(y)

Safe mode is basically a mode where your Operating System boots up with minimal drivers loaded, just the drivers needed to enable you to get into windows to troubleshoot etc.
In that way if a driver for lets say a Graphics card is causing Windows not to boot, then you can boot into Safe mode which will only load a bog standard graphics driver which all Graphics cards support. You can then uninstall the problem driver and install a new one.

That is an example of why we have safe mode. A virus checker can perform better and quiker in Safe Mode because services and processes not required for a norma boot up are not loaded, and so do not interfere with the virus check or slow it down.

Thats a basic laymans terms explenation of safe mode, you boot up to safe mode by dabbing the F8 key when computer is booting, and select Safe Mode.

Back