Need Help w/ Xbox "Server Timed Out" Message

While online and playing this headreckin thing happens when the game freezes and sometimes Say's connection era
server timed out (what does this mean)game lobby closed,this is ruining my gaming experience and happens all the time.xbox 360 elite connected whit cable that came with it to a wireless router at 20MB from ntl,my laptop works fine doe and no connection issues

Is there anywhere in the Xbox settings to view what speed it is actually connecting to the router at, or at least the signal strength? There is a big difference in cruising the internet and downloading compared to trying to game online, especially wireless.

Also I read somewhere about unplugging it for a while and then trying again.

hi paddy, havent heard of this problem before but logging into your wireless router and setting the NAT type to OPEN does improve connectivity while playing online. give this a try and see does it improve anything.

hi paddy, havent heard of this problem before but logging into your wireless router and setting the NAT type to OPEN does improve connectivity while playing online. give this a try and see does it improve anything.[/QUOTE

Ok how do i log into my router and do this.

hi paddy, in your browser type 192.168.1.1 and press enter
a window will open asking you for the username and password for the router
by default, if you havent changed the username or password, it should be admin for the username and either 1234 or password for the password. it sometimes tells you on the router itself what the default is.

On my router which is netgear i go to WAN setup and you will see an option for NAT filtering. by default it is secured, select OPEN and click apply. log back out of your router, even power it off and back on and give it a whirl on xbox to see if it makes a difference. i also have the routers firewall disabled, up to yourself to try that or not.

What game are you playing online by the way?

In the new call of duty modern warfare 2 it actually shows on the screen what your NAT type is set too, this was brought about first when people had connection issues on halo, i changed it myself and had great results. There are however new release games that often have connection issues simply by too many people connecting to the server at the same time, this can be avoided by playing at different times of the day or waiting a couple of weeks for the hype to die down but who wants to wait :)

The reason I ask about operating system is that in Win7 (and I believe that Vista is similar) if you open the network shortcut under Windows Explorer it will list your router under devices, then you can just right click on it and choose "View Device Webpage."

gothca ferg and your right :)

type windows explorer in the start menu, press enter, select network from the left column then right click residential gateway and then view device webpage, windows 7.

Thanks lads i think iv finally sussed it,i disconnect my dreambox and it seems to work OK iv also done what you said with the router, ()some times it can be all so simple):loco:

thanks paddy

Back