New Box choice *UPGRADING*

So, I'm currently running a zgemma H2H with sly and virmin feeds but the wife hates not being able to just record on HD virgin channels whilst watching others.

Looking to upgrade the box now and move this to the bedroom, budget is £200 maximum and i'm only really bothered about a twin DVB-c tuner as i dont really use the sky but if it can stay on then its a bonus (don't like SD channels, look poor on my samsung ks8000)

So a couple of choices I have are:

Vu+ solo se v2 twin DVB-c hybrid (brother has one works well) £169
Gigablue HD Ultra Triple combo 1 x sat & 2x cable £188
Technomate TM Nano SE M2 PLUS triple tuner 1x sat & 2x cable £138
Mutant HD51 4k twin 2x cable £199

or any other that you may recommend, i'm pulling my hair out here trying to buy one!

Thanks!

Hi MB14

I was in a similar boat trying to decide on what to go for. And yes once you have had HD via vm then the Sly looks very poor !

I was interested in the Mutant but could not get the C tuners from my choice of shop so I opted for the Technomate and , even though I am a Noobie, I think its an amazing box for the money.

It has the single Sly and a dual C tuner so it only needs one one vm input but allows you to record and watch another channel.

Might eventually go for the Mutant in the future.

Good luck choosing :-)

I have been looking the technomate up but a few people have said the picture quality isnt very good compared to other boxes, what is your opinion on this?

Thanks.

Hi MB14

The technomate is as good as my real VM box ! as far as I can tell. I never had sports but the HD sports on the TM look as good as the FTA HD channels.

Its a massive difference when you swap tuners to the Sly tuner.

Cheers

4k boxes can use the images as you mentioned but people with them tend to run the line through Oscam.

Think there has been problems trying to get lines working using the other cams, not sure why.

Running same model technomate as mentioned above on 60 inch Samsung tv and if you can get a better hd picture than I get on that I'd like to see it!

The mutant HD51 is oscam only for arm processor. No other softcam will work. Currently openATV 6 will not work on the mutant HD51 with oscam so use open ATV 5.3 if you do buy one.

Personally I don't see any benefits of a 4K box as the channels won't clear on vermin or sly will they? I normally consume 4K stuff through my nvidia shield.
A lot people including myself bought their receiver because of all the other features and not the 4K badge.
I've no interest in anything 4K, I'm happy with HD.
The speed of the processor is why I purchased it, amazingly fast ;-)

I have purchased the technomate m2 and mutant hd51 and both do a fantastic job. Yes the mutant is faster at boot up and offers a front display whereas the technomate doesn't. Having said that the technomate is £60 cheaper and does come with a sat tuner which can be used in the future.
Remember you need to factor is a HDD which costs around £30 for a brand new 500gb size.
They both run Openvix well.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

I've got that Gigablue with that configuration. I think it's brilliant for what I need. All good options though.

Hi Paul,

I just purchased the same Technomate config as you have, single Sly and dual C - it will arrive this week and I am wondering what cables I need to get. Here is my config, what do you think I need.

One sly cable
One VM cable to router

I was thinking I would get a 2 way splitter, take the feed from the wall into that and then feed out one to the router and one to technomate, Sly cable just directly into the technomate. What connection is on the C tuner ? Is it an F connector ? Thanks

Hi MB14

I was in a similar boat trying to decide on what to go for. And yes once you have had HD via vm then the Sly looks very poor !

I was interested in the Mutant but could not get the C tuners from my choice of shop so I opted for the Technomate and , even though I am a Noobie, I think its an amazing box for the money.

It has the single Sly and a dual C tuner so it only needs one one vm input but allows you to record and watch another channel.

Might eventually go for the Mutant in the future.

Good luck choosing :-)

It'll be an RF adaptor you need. The F connector goes into that then you push the adaptor into the box.

Back