new cable box upgrade

Qvic

hi guys,

want to upgrade my current box ( Zgemma star H1 ) running openvix
as this doesn't allow me to record & watch 2 seperate channels , i can only record the channel i'm watching , i am on VM Cable , i only have one feed no Sat in the house

so i'm looking for advice on what to get , so far i've narrowed it down to a few boxes and was looking for some advice / answers

bear with me i'm a noob ;) , so i was initially looking at the Vu+ solo SE V2 twin tuner dvb-c
but cam across the 4K boxes which appeal to me also as for not too much more £££'s i can future-proof my investment, the following boxes are what i've narrowed it down too, not in any particular order

HD
1. Vu+ solo SE V2 twin tuner dvb-c
2. Xtrend 8500 Quad

1. Octagon sf4008 4K
2. Mutant HD
3. Vu+ uno 4K 1 x DVB-C FBC tuner

my questions are
f
1. am i correct in saying all above boxes will suit my needs
2. if i opted for one of the 4K boxes, i'm reading that i need to use oscam, will this still work with current line i have on my gemma star? i will be selling this to a mate but would hope that i can transfer my line over to the new setup
3. are the 4K boxes alot more hassle to setup ? if so i don't mind just getting the Vu+ solo SE V2 twin tuner dvb-c as there is not much 4K content out there anyway
4. im guessing the above boxes will have better performance tha n my Zgemma , is there much difference between the above in performance though or will i notice an improvement no matter which one i opt for ?
5. what about build quality / support / stability? are they all well suported?

many thanks

Qvic

Last edited:
Sorry have to disagree with the above buy the et8500 m8. Hdd slides in via a pull out tab 4 x plug n play tuners. Nice LCD display and on offer at the moment m8 4 cable tuners for around £250 ain't bad.

There's not much in 4K at the moment unless you want sly q

et8500 look fine
to be honest never used one

i have gone through most vu+ boxes
with out any problems at all

lancable / bacardi

many thanks to both of you for your quick responses
so do both of you think i should steer clear of the 4K boxes?
if so may i ask why? is it just because there is no 4K content or are they a hassle to setup?
do they not offer much more in performance over the two mentioned by yourselves?

should have added, i only have one feed , so would both of your suggestions require me to split the cable or do these have the internal splitter thingy?

agin many thanks

4k boxes have no content as you say

the only cams you can use is oscam and ncam

unless you flash a build of blackhole

do you have a 4 k tv

hi lancable, yes i have a 55" 4K TV ;))

when you say the only cams i can use oscam, is this a negative thing? as i say i am a noob to this really, im not sure what the implications of using oscam are , do i not juct do some sort of mgcam to oscam conversion for it to work?

regards

et8500 look fine
to be honest never used one

i have gone through most vu+ boxes
with out any problems at all

I've had most vu+ boxes along with others, I cocked up and bought a edision os mega 2 weeks ago and if you want a sat box/cable I'd consider that. However my other half won't let me screw a dish to our brand new house which is also rendered so it's on fleebay.

Runs Kodi 17 really fast has a special third tuner that you can connect a dish and cable to at the same time. I've been and bought the et8500 really impressed with it, best box I've had for the price it is at I think it a bargin.

Not bothered about 4K as there not much content we are going to be able to watch, if you want a movie stream it.

It's your box so buy one to suit you, one final tip make sure the wife is fine with your plans

think i will probably opt for the Vu+ solo SE V2 , makes it simpler for me , as im not sure about all this oscam thing , will it even work on my line?

oscam will work mate but just different

but box you said will be fine

if you have a line it will work

remember some servers lines you can not edit as ports are different

ok so oscam will work just fine , i might just buy a new line in that case as my provider just replied saying he doesn't support oscam

so i'll sell my zgemma to my mate with 7 months sub on line and buy from a provider that supports oscam

so now in that case i can futureproof the purchase with a 4K box and get the extra benefit of having better processing power ;))

thanks again for all your help both of you, now to decide what 4K box to grab

1. VU+ Uno 4K 1x DVB-C CABLE FBC
2. Mutant HD51 4K UHD H.265 HEVC DVB Twin Tuner

OCTAGON SF4008 4K UHD

decisions decisions , what would you choose and why?

if its N or C line your supplier as theres no reason why you cant use oscam and as far as I know the only softcams that are still worked on are the oscam

and if your not sure how to setup the oscam theirs a fantastic guide on here to use and if need be let me know and I will give you a hand

seems to be between the VU+ uno 4K & the mutant HD51 4K

pros : Vu has the FBC tuners , reading that these are excellent
pros : mutant has internal sata drive , nice & tidy

probably not much between the boxes outwith the above, im guessing they will perform equally as good with regards to processing etc

I've got a vusolo2 only box I use had it about 4 years and its never let me down best thing to do is look on the web for review on the boxes your considering and get which ever you feel suits you

I used to have this box Vu+ solo SE V2 twin tuner dvb-c really good but decided, I now only buy boxes with internal hard drive support. I have the Octagon SF4008 its super quick, supports both vix and atv and a great cable box. £200 for a 1 x twin dvb-c. best box I`ve bought so far !!

Back