New member looking for info.

hi moonman. there are no hd channels on sky is due to the encryption systen they use to scramble the channels on the hd platform. it doesnt matter what type of box you use they cant show hd channels.
luckly for all of us who use cs as a way of viewing premium (SD) tv they didnt think it was worth while ( probably the cost ) using this encryption system on all their broadcasts. long may they think this way.

I believe its something to do with older boxes can't decrypt the new encryption method - and I think this even includes very early HD boxes which is why Sky had to upgrade anyone still on one for free a few years ago. They could have potentially had paying HD customers unable to access the content so they had to give them out for free.
It also means all standard Sky boxes (none-HD ones) also are unable to deal with the new encryption, and I'm guessing there must still be an awful lot of them out there - enough so for Sky to deem it too expensive to upgrade them to a new box for free. Which is why the SD broadcasts stayed on the old system so that they can still be accessed.
It will happen one day, it's just a case of when Sky deem it feasible.

Hi. New to this and hope I'm in right forum! H2H box up and running fantastic but on my Virgin EPG any HD channel name just says n/a, whereas all standard definition channel names are on there no probs... Any ideas? On iPab 1.3 and have tried populating but I then lose the HD channels meaning I need to re-scan! Small prob but any help would be great. Cheers.

Back