New Microsoft Security Essentials v 2.0.657

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
sshot49027131.png

Adds network filtering, heuristic protection, and more.

Download the NEW MSE v2.0.657 (released 12/16/2010)

-

Last edited:
Have you used this or do you have any accounts from users who have this? I am just curious as to the effectiveness and more so the INTRUSIVENESS of this.

Have you used this or do you have any accounts from users who have this? I am just curious as to the effectiveness and more so the INTRUSIVENESS of this.

I'm using it on all my systems now ferg and have been for some time.

Aside from the fact that it is free for genuine Windows users it is also incredibly light on resources to the point that you wouldn't even notice it was there. Doesn't annoy you with needless pop ups either.

I was a staunch AVG user but left them soon after they sold out and the new owners loaded it with bloat.

-

I have been very pleased with Avira, but I am not opposed to trying out something new if it can do better and be lighter on the resources as you say. I may give this a try. Thanks for the feedback.

I`ve been using MSE since around March. I was using avira before that but I`m sticking with MSE :)

Is it actually that good? I might dump avira myself to try this out!

I highly recommend it anyway axxxo & I've used it from day one.

Just a note to anyone changing over to it, as always you should only ever run one anti virus solution on your system so remember to remove any existing antivirus program before installing MSE. Most of them will allow you to remove them via the Add\Remove option in Control Panel but be aware that this method only removes the actual program and leaves tremendous amounts of entries in your registry.

It is always advisable to thoroughly remove all traces of the program to be removed using the vendor supplied removal tools.

Most Vendors offer such tools now.

Here are some of the most common ones:

Avira Removal Tool:

AVG Removal Tool:

Norton Removal Tool:

McAfee Removal Tool:

AVAST Removal Tool:

Note: Some vendors require you to use the tool only but others require you to remove via the Add\Remove option first & then follow with their removal tool. (Please check your vendors removal instructions prior to uninstalling.)

-

It was my understanding that Avira did offer a removal tool but it was only good up through Version 6, with the current version I believe being v. 10.###. Also unless I misread something, the tool that you linked to is actually their malware/virus removal tool, not the program removal tool. From everything that I found, the best approach is to use an uninstaller program such as Revo Uninstaller. This will help you to get rid of the traces that it leaves behind. This is simply for Avira, the others I am not familiar with and I am sure Gman's advice is spot on.

On another note, I did switch over on your recommendation G, and so far it has worked fine. It does actually seem lower on resources than Avira and is pretty straightforward. I miss a little bit of the extra control but I am sure it will be just fine. Time will tell. Thanks mate.

Last edited:
iv been using it now for a long time and touch wood iv had no problems at all so far cheers

Thanks Gman496, have just uninstalled Free AVG 2011 to give this a test run for a few weeks or so. I found not being able to deselect PC Analyzer when installing AVG2011 very annoying.

Changed over from avast to Microsoft Security Essentials yesterday.Love it,thanks G.As ferg said,used Revo uninstaller to remove avast.Worked a treat.Thanks Lads(y)

Back