HD51 4K New Mutant User here HD51 on order !!

whiteswan

Hi

I am off to have a good read through the threads.

I have absolutely no idea where to start - last satellite receiver was a PACE MSS1000 in the 90's !!

I have actually ordered the twin cable tuner one as sat not needed.

If anybody can point me to a complete idiots guide to set up I would be grateful - if not then be prepared for some fantastically stupid questions.

Dave

Hi Dave
You can't go wrong with this box as myself and many others have it

Dangerous as a atv 6 image in the download section pre configured so just a case of adding your line & setting your area net id up

Plenty of help on here if needed aswell

Hi what's an atv6 image?

Mine has Open Vix I think -do I just install it over that ?

Sorry if that's a daft question...........are you saying all I need to do is power box on - plug cables in (still not hundred percent on this - I have vermin bband (no tv) - I have ordered a 3 way splitter and an rf to f connector thinumybob !! So I assume I take current broadband lead that's going into superhub and put it in single end of splitter - then 3 leads coming out - 1 to superhub and 2 to receiever is that correct ?) - download the atv6 image and then upload to my box (usb ?) - and then add my line(s) when I get one and i'm all done ?

Dave

Open atv & vix are images for the box
People like different versions i.e. Atv or vix
I believe there is a vix image in the downloads aswell.just pm dangerous if you can't find it
Pretty much power on - flash image of choice - insert details & away you go
Like I say plenty of help here

Open atv & vix are images for the box
People like different versions i.e. Atv or vix
I believe there is a vix image in the downloads aswell.just pm dangerous if you can't find it
Pretty much power on - flash image of choice - insert details & away you go
Like I say plenty of help here

You make it sound so easy ;-) Lets see how long it takes everybody to get fed up of my daft questions...............oh for the days of my filmnet decoder on my 16 channel Amstrad sky analogue box !!

Dave

You make it sound so easy ;-) Lets see how long it takes everybody to get fed up of my daft questions...............oh for the days of my filmnet decoder on my 16 channel Amstrad sky analogue box !!

Dave

'Filmnet decoder' rotflmao, I had one of those, you used to twist the stalk on the back of it until hopefully it cleared. If somebody sneezed you had to do it again.

'Filmnet decoder' rotflmao, I had one of those, you used to twist the stalk on the back of it until hopefully it cleared. If somebody sneezed you had to do it again.

I bet you also had the huge green pcb sticking out of the front of the sat box as well didn't you ;-)

Dave

I bet you also had the huge green pcb sticking out of the front of the sat box as well didn't you ;-)

Dave
The one I had was a black box about 6" square with a separate PSU and a scart lead that plugged in the back of the receiver. I remember a receiver, dish (and installation) and magic box was about £290 circa 1990, must have been mad, only a handful of channels. Then came the PIC card and punching numbers into the receivers remote to enter the new codes. Filmnet, Screensport, TV1000 etc lol.

My box has arrived !!............first job - put kettle on ;-)

Dave
Hi whiteswan, How are you getting on with your box?

I am looking at getting the same box soon.

One thing i am curious about is if many people get stuttering or freezing?

I used to have a S#Y box which used to freeze quite often on a weekend. It used to freeze every 7 seconds which i believe is the time it takes for the box to receive the encryption key.. Have you noticed anything like this?

cheers :-)

That's a server issue. This box being OScam only means you could have 2 lines switching at every ECM request to prevent that. This will be a nice fast box to what you had before.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

That's a server issue. This box being OScam only means you could have 2 lines switching at every ECM request to prevent that. This will be a nice fast box to what you had before.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

That's good to know :-)

A question if you don't mind, so the OScam contains the information of the servers you are linked to (i want dual tuners so i have read that i need to pay for 2 lines, i am learning so please feel free to correct me) so if i record one channel and watch another, there isn't another server that the box can connect to if the one server is playing up. Is that right or is that not how it all works?

If i am right, Is it worth paying for 3 servers to be covered?

You should get away with1 server in a twin tuner box if not taking the pee and recording non-stop. I'd recommend 2 different servers though if using OScam.

Mind a good line is £60+ a year so you don't want 3 if you can help it :)

Last edited:
You should get away 1 server in a twin tuner box if not taking the pee and recording non-stop. I'd recommend 2 different servers though if using OScam.

Mind a good line is £60+ a year so you don't want 3 if you can help it :)

Ahh, ok, i thought that you had to have 2 lines. One line using 1 server for watching and 1 line server for recording.

I should be ok with 1 line as i will only be recording the F1 when i am out and about when its on.

I am happy to pay £60 plus for a good line, i am near the end of my IPTV sub which was £90.

The amount of money you save is great so hope people don't grumble about the prices :-)

Thanks for your advice bangord30 :-)

Quick update......its stuttering and freezing and blocking and saying "tune failed" on lots of channels - I have replaced the splitter with a VM one - replaced all cables with top quality ones.

My broadband is 300 meg Vm and is spot on - even with the splitter in place......I think its something that I have done wrong in set up to be honest.

Tried many different net id's (I'm on Oldham and there isn't a net id for me so I have tried all the Manchester ones) - but still same result.

I'm having somebody look at it later............so hopefully be able to solve problems.........

My SNR on some channels is below 60 - and these are the ones I can't bring in - Sky Disney hd, Discovery HD , BBC2 Hd, itv 2 hd and many more - but some are perfect - BBC1HD, ITV1 HD, Sky Action HD etc..........its a puzzler and is almost certainly NOT the box or the server - what is everybody elses SNR on say Sky Disney HD ?

dAVE

It will be something in your setup, I'm sure the SNR should be higher.
I'll have a look at my set up shortly and let you know is what mine is reading.

What should SNR level be at mine is about 75/80 very little coax and a splitter for my hd51 and tivo box ...but the picture are excellent on both boxes .

What should SNR level be at mine is about 75/80 very little coax and a splitter for my hd51 and tivo box ...but the picture are excellent on both boxes .
That's fine, just checked mine and it's showing around 80, interestingly one receiver is showing around 55, but perfect picture.
I'm just wondering if these receivers are actually accurate with the readings.

Getting freezing issues with mine... Sometimes my Mutant doesn't want to even turn on?!
Bought a 3way splitter (Same make as VM use) and will try that in the next couple of days.
I'd say my cables were ok, as all HD100 and have been checked for continuity....
The freezing is worse on a more premium channel. Very frustrating....

Back