Cable Newbie... a few questions as about to order

ParDanMe

Evening All,

As in my first post I've been lurking around for some time trying to take everything in as best as I can, bookmarking things as I go along. I move into my new house on Friday and I'm about to order the ZGemma H1 as there is no aerial and only an Sly dish on the wall plus I'll have an active VM broadband sub and I'd like to still get HD whilst being able to record one and watch another. I'd like to thanks bees for his guide too, best guide I've come across and something I'd been looking for for days. I've still a few questions which some I may have seen answered before, some not but just want confirming before I take the plunge..

1. I'm aware I will need a Sat splitter and a short F-F cable for the router and a F to Coax cable for the box plus a feed from the Sly dish with an F connector on the end. Is there anything else I need to physically buy?
  2. If I don't have time to set it all up on Friday will can I just watch FTA channels straight away?
  3. To install lines will I need to flash anything else other than what's included in bees guide?
  4. I'm aware I'll need a sub for both cable and sat - how much should i expect to pay per month for a decent trouble free one on each?
  5. Will a 2.5 inch USB 3.0 WD 2TB drive be ok for recordings or does it have to be powered and can I definitely watch one and record another on the H1?

Thanks in advance for your help. Looking forward to moving into my house and watching some decent tele!

Hello Pardanme and welcome (y)

I'll try answer some of the questions mate

1. yes seems right :) for the splitter I use this one its the same make as virgin use "Technetix" technetix 2 way 3.6dB splitter | eBay
and this F connector adapter for the virgin coax wire is F Connector Male Socket To Coax TV Aerial Male Adapter | eBay ,.........
so you will have 2 runs of coax cable going to the zgemma box, One will be from the virgin splitter and the other from your skydish's lnb./
The other connection on the splitter goes to the router, you also need to run a internet wire from your router to the zgemma. (you can go wireless but its best to use a wire ... hard wire much better but some people say these new home plugins are good that use you home electric wiring )

2. yes you be able to watch the FTA but virgin side has hardly any channels I here

3. I highly recommend you flash the zgemma box straight away with sucmness version of Vix Firmware - Downloads - TechKings
I'm using 153 version and it works great , all you need to do is change a few settings location settings and your good to go.
read and follow his setup guide .

the zgemma H1 comes pre installed with openatv image and I found it hard setting up .... plus sucmness image looks better and runs faster for me

4. £10 a month for cable , you can get sly very cheap nowdays , I payed £45 for a whole year with sly and seen it for as little £25 for a year, cable is around £70 £80 a year .....also you can run the box with just sly you dont need to have both.
I have the zgemma running both sly and virmin :) but I always use virmin HD channels now :)

5. sorry I don't use an external hard drive but I read its best to have the Hd externally powered / as in not have the hard drive powered by the usb socket on the zgemma use a wall socket to power it, think I read that people get freezes sometimes

Last edited:
Hi Swampy,

Thanks for the reply mate. I ordered the box last night and look forward to getting it soon. I'm thinking of just getting a VM sub as it has HD channels and use the sat for the fta channels when I want to record something off VM.

Unfortunately I can't access the downloads section yet but when I do I'll be sure to take you up on flashing VIX. Hopefully I'll be ok with openatv until then.

I have a powered USB hard drive somewhere too so will take a look at that.

Thanks for your help!

no problem mate good luck setting it all up its well worth it

just take your time :peace: I would use sucmness image straight away if you can though

Back