*Newbie Alert* Cable or IPTV

LiDa86

Hi,

Go gentle on me, first time poster!

I stumbled across this forum by chance due to having an issue with our Virgin SuperHub and the Virgin tech telling me about this site and a ZGemma box. Up until now I was part of the Firestick with Kodi installed to get access to mainly live football and TV box sets / Movies. Over the last six months or so football is no longer reliable through Kodi, too many Addons going down and quality of streams don't appear that great when you eventually get one.

I'm starting to ramble so I'll get to the point. I have a Virgin Media subscription (Broadband and TV package - Not Sky Sports or BT Sport though). What I'm after is access to live football and PPV events. Over the last day or so I've read a lot about a ZGemma H2H. Though upon browsing a lot of people mention IPTV which has kind of thrown me a little on whether this is a better option to going to the ZGemma route with Virgin.

Is IPTV reliable? What advantages would I gain over utilising my Virgin subscription with a ZGemma box? Is a ZGemma box the best option out there for what I'm trying to achieve?

I look forward to the communities response. You all seem like a very helpful bunch, especially to the new folk like I that don't have a clue.

The VM tech told you about TK and zgemma boxes? :grin: :grin: :grin:

A cable box is a lot more reliable than IPTV - IPTV is bit like Kodi but you pay for it but it's a little better although not perfect. Obviously with a zgemma on cable, you'll only have access to the full cable package and not all 3pm football.

That's right. He saw the firestick remote and rightly assumed I was a Kodi user. He basically said look at this zgemma H2H box and you'll get access to all the channels I don't currently pay for. I must admit the lure of all 3pm kicks offs is tempting but with two young kids, I doubt I'd have the time anyway currently. Maybe starting with the cable package would be the best option.

I take it I need to buy a zgemma (or is there alternatives that are better)? Can I record with zgemma boxes?
Take it I need to buy a sub from somewhere to decode these channels? Is there a reputable list somewhere?

Zgemma is a good budget option - there are better but more expensive boxes. The H2.H will only allow you to record the cable channel you're watching or the H5.2TC will allow you to watch 1 cable channel whilst recording another cable channel... both boxes are also equipped with a satellite tuner too if you have a satellite cable which you can plug into it which will get you all the freesat channels.

You will need to purchase a cable sub (line / gift whatever you wanna call it) ... recommendations aren't allow on open forum.

The VM tech told you about TK and zgemma boxes? :grin: :grin: :grin:

A cable box is a lot more reliable than IPTV - IPTV is bit like Kodi but you pay for it but it's a little better although not perfect. Obviously with a zgemma on cable, you'll only have access to the full cable package and not all 3pm football.
The iptv that I've tried have been as good as the VM on Zgemma and a hell of a lot more content. You can say what you want but both services come down to your internet

A good provider is very important Someone who gives you a link with up to date information on the status of the server Also gives you information about alternative channels

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

OK, Here's my 2 pennyworth to a fellow newbie. I used to use satellite card share (cs) then went to cable cs when the sat HD channels became scrambled. I've always had VM broadband,but never a TV subscription and as a consequence a few channels pixellate, no doubt as the TV signal has never been optimised. Perhaps LiDa86 could send his friendly VM Tech round to sort it out-put clearly as he has a TV sub with VM this is a problem he shouldn't have! The main reason I started to look at IPTV is that logically it can only be a mater of time before HD/perhaps all channels are lost to cable cs. So far I've been very satisfied with my IPTV supplier, very stable and no loss of signal during EPL footie including the 3 o' clocks. I have a Samsung smart TV and the set up and operation couldn't be simpler! I've retained a cable cs sub as well with a supplier at a very modest price-just in case!

Cable, all day long, but buy a decent box

something like this

Vu+ Solo SE V2 Twin Tuner DVB-C/T/T2 Cable / Terrestrial Linux HD PVR Ready Receiver

Flashed with openvix.

There are guides on here how to set it up.

No 3pm kick offs just a full sky package and PPV boxing, picture quality is great and with a good server
it can be very stable.

No reason to think it will end soon even though there are a couple of rumour threads knocking about.

If the worst happened you could use the box for IPTV anyway, picture quality isn't as good, plenty of servers ripping people off
at the moment, so lots of posts about VPN's :grin::grin::grin::grin:

There is more content on IPTV if you get a good server.

Back