Newbie cable setup information

Before you order your shiny new cable box have a little think about what do I need?

Cable : this should be a decent quality cable suitable for CATV, look for a copper core cable of the highest quality that you have a choice from.

Splitting your cable from your super hub:

Buy yourself a splitter as used by the cable service companies, Tractec 5-1000 MHz seems to be the popular choice.

Now it's time to plug the box in and configure it knowing you have the right cables and splitters.

"Hang in there I hear you say, I can just get this really cheap crap quality splitter kit from a well known auction site"

Fine, it's your choice, but when your suffering from glitches, tuner timeout messages and looking for help in the forums, you won't get the right advice as you have broken the golden rule of CATV - use decent cable and splitters.

Gold plated high quality cables = crap

Don't believe everything you read on the well known auction site.

Good luck with your setup, I've just saved you hours of future problems.

Good write up... don't forget that you'll also need an F to RF adapter too :)

94AXVhH.jpg

Virgin seem to use Tratec / Technetix 5-1000mhz splitters ... I have used the Labgear 5-2400mhz ones from Screwfix on several that i've set up and all have been fine. I think as long as you get a decent branded one, you'll be fine but don't even entertain unbranded ones and ones that have a name on that nobody has ever heard of :)

Back