Newbie with a few questions

Hi

I have a openbox v5 which seems to working very well although my channels are limited compared to a friend who has over a thousand more channels such as FOX sports and some foreign sports channels.

Is this due to him having a different c-line to mine, as when he goes onto his satellite channel lists he has hundred of channels whereas mine has none.

Mine are also all set up into favourite lists meaning I have all sports, movies, kids etc split into seperate favourites but I cannot get a list of all together.

Is there a way of me getting FOX sports on my box or do I need a better c-line with more choice.

Also I have used set up an EPG list on a USB like in a thread on here which was for a v8 box however osme channels do not show what is on now or next, is this because I am using the method for a v8 and is there a better way to do it.

Also, finally my box oftern comes up scrambled and becomes all jumpy, is this due to using a sky wireless adapter in the back instead of an ethernet cable, will I get a better more reliable picture using the ethernet.

I imagine you have a static satellite dish, and he has a motorised dish, this is why he can point the dish at various other satellites and get foreign stations. Also, he does have a line for other satellites, that you probably don't have (yours is probably only 28.2)

The openbox is very similar to the Skybox, so there should be a way to view all channels together. On the Skybox, what you do is press the OK button, then you can scroll through them alll on a page by page basis.

Can you get FOX sports on your box - Yes, but not on the 28.2 satellite.

I don't know anything about the EPG on an openbox.

Your Box, when wired by ethernet cable is more reliable, but your problems may be due to problems at your servers end.

Just as an aside - Why didn't you ask your mate about his set up, he should have all the answers - particularly the questions about what servers he has, as there is a chance he is using IPTV, or an android streaming program.

Just as an aside - Why didn't you ask your mate about his set up, he should have all the answers - particularly the questions about what servers he has, as there is a chance he is using IPTV, or an android streaming program.

Thanks for the reply, I did ask my mate but he just bought a 'gift' off ebay and gets the other channels. He is using a SKY dish on the side of his wall and just happened to get FOX Sports and the other channels as well, I thought it may be down to his c-line having more choice than mine.

He isn't very tech minded and wouldn't have a clue about any of it lol.

Steve, you are sure your mate only uses a static dish?? What box does he have?, because it sounds like he is after setting up an IPTV box, or an android box.

Also I have used set up an EPG list on a USB like in a thread on here which was for a v8 box however osme channels do not show what is on now or next, is this because I am using the method for a v8 and is there a better way to do it.
Hiya I have a v5s and here is the step by step guide to setting up the EPG, at the moment, according to their web page, they are having a few problems they are working on so it is a case of keep going through the process every now and then until they get the problem sorted. It is usually okay and rarely has any real problems and shouldn't be down long.

EPG setup Openbox v5s

Go to the settings menu screen- click on system settings (looks like a profile picture silhouette)- scroll down to 'EPG and Time setting' until it is highlighted-press 'ok' on remote- on new menu highlight 'EPG default setting' and scroll with left/right button on remote to get 'internet (XMLTV)' - Ensure the GMT offset is set to 'UTC+00.00'- ensure 'summertime' is set to off (when the clocks change in March set this to 'on')- scroll down to 'XMLTV setting' and press 'OK'- top of the list should be 'United Kingdom' ensure it is highlighted then press the red button on the remote control and the update process should begin. This will take a fair time to complete but at the end you should have an up to date EPG. I have never known the 'automatic' update to work so I just do a manual update when it's needed...I choose every day but I have waited 2-3 days before the EPG needed updating.
I hope that helps

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses I've tried to manually update the list and it says channel write back failed! Please check disk free volu.

I'm assuming this is due to the downtime you mention ciccio

Steve, you are sure your mate only uses a static dish?? What box does he have?, because it sounds like he is after setting up an IPTV box, or an android box.
He has said he uses his sky dish same as me and gets the Fox sports channel, I'm not sure if maybe he is mistaking another channel as I said previously he isn't very tech minded lol

Thanks for the responses I've tried to manually update the list and it says channel write back failed! Please check disk free volu.

I'm assuming this is due to the downtime you mention ciccio
This is because you have a wireless adapter in and you need a usb, formated to fat 32 in the box for the epg to work

I have a 32gb USB in the back of the box, it worked yesterday but I had to use the USB for something then when I put it back in it wouldn't work.

I've just tried it in the break of footy and it's working now lol.

Back