No signal dish problem

makido

VIP Member
My neighbour is running an h2s. A few weeks ago he lost channels/signal on one tuner. He checked all cables and they seemed all good.

I got him to re-flash just in case something had gone wrong. It was still the same, so I got him to disable the dodgy tuner until I could have a look (Not that im an expert like) and the box run fine on one tuner until yesterday

Ive tried my box on it and no signal whats so ever so its not the box.

Ive stripped the cables back and re-done them but still the same so now it as to be a dish problem. And thats where im stuck.
Ive downloaded an app on my phone. But without the risk of sounding thick - what the hell do I do now

Ive enabled location and its brought the address up and everything and ive tried to read the help section but to be honest its gone straight over my head.

I read on the app review that its meant to beep or something when you have it in position. But nothing is happening, so guess im doing it wrong. Nothing on the box either

I do have a guy coming but he cant get to me while Sunday as hes working away. But the neighbour hasnt got a tv ariel so I thought - well it cant be that hard can it - How wrong was I

Is it something I can do, or is best to leave it to the experts

not something you can do unless you have a satellite meter handy...
the iPhone apps are very inaccurate

Nope havent got one of them
Just I read reviews that a phone app would do it - well they have it going anyway. So thought I would have a go

Nope havent got one of them
Just I read reviews that a phone app would do it - well they have it going anyway. So thought I would have a go
tried the phone apps myself and they just gave me hassle, better waiting until Sunday for the experts they will have the necessary equipment.

My neighbour is running an h2s. A few weeks ago he lost channels/signal on one tuner. He checked all cables and they seemed all good.

I got him to re-flash just in case something had gone wrong. It was still the same, so I got him to disable the dodgy tuner until I could have a look (Not that im an expert like) and the box run fine on one tuner until yesterday

Ive tried my box on it and no signal whats so ever so its not the box.

Ive stripped the cables back and re-done them but still the same so now it as to be a dish problem. And thats where im stuck.
Ive downloaded an app on my phone. But without the risk of sounding thick - what the hell do I do now

Ive enabled location and its brought the address up and everything and ive tried to read the help section but to be honest its gone straight over my head.

I read on the app review that its meant to beep or something when you have it in position. But nothing is happening, so guess im doing it wrong. Nothing on the box either

I do have a guy coming but he cant get to me while Sunday as hes working away. But the neighbour hasnt got a tv ariel so I thought - well it cant be that hard can it - How wrong was I

Is it something I can do, or is best to leave it to the experts
It's more likely to be the LNB rather than the dish, the same problem was posted a few weeks ago and it turned out to be the LNB, - http://www.techkings.org/threads/no-satalite-signal.136086/

Last edited:
Thanks
Will have another look tomorrow. I can follow the above thread to get the idea. Never done it before so it would be good to learn.
It looked so easy but I suppose it is if you know what your doing

remember only tamper with your dish as installers were trying to reset my cousins sat dish but readings would not change, she shouted up try moving the one to the right as that was hers.:quiet::quiet:plenty of red faces on roof:grin::grin::grin::grin:

remember only tamper with your dish as installers were trying to reset my cousins sat dish but readings would not change, she shouted up try moving the one to the right as that was hers.:quiet::quiet:plenty of red faces on roof:grin::grin::grin::grin:
Dont go saying things like that cacti - It did make me think about it for a minute :grin::grin:

Get someone to fit you a new dish,it's cheap enough.
I was talking to the guy whos sorting on it on Sunday. He said I could try a new LNB if I wanted to give it a go, and just go pick it up.
If I dont try then I will never know. Its broke anyway so what harm can I really do...:)

Just ordered a signal finder from screwfix so im on it today. Hopefully its just the dish cos I will be honest I dont really have a clue what im doing
but.....
If I crack this willo I will definitively be using that link :)

A signal finder won't be any good if the lnb is faulty, make sure it's not the lnb first before moving the dish.
By reading your first post I would say it's the lnb.

Last edited:
Well guys it might of took me all day for an half hour job.
But Ive done it!! :grimacing::LOL: It was the dish

I changed the LNB just to be safe I didnt know how to check if it was faulty but it looked ok
I wasnt sure if id it right but I still had no signal so I had nothing to lose.

Reading the reviews on the signal finder it said "up and running in minutes" Yeah right!! It took me ages but not bad for a first go I guess,
I got there in the end.
But on channels like bbc1 hd, itv etc the signal strength is 78 ish some are a little lower but still have a picture. Im sure they were sat at 99% percent before. Will that be ok, or shall I go try and make it better.

One thing learnt for sure is only do diy jobs in the summer :)

Back