No sky signal but openbox working?

MisterB

TK Veteran
hi, i have just purchased an openbox as a starter to get used to the world of wonder !! it only has ftv channels but I also have a sky package up and running on the same LNB. its raining at the moment (in France) and my openbox is showing all ftv channels no problem, but my sky is stating no signal being received - any ideas why this might be happening ?

(ps signal strength etc on both sky and openbox are very good and I have unplugged the openbox in case there was some conflict - but nothing on sky at all)

Last edited:
yes, but as I don't have internet connection yet (and not sure I can get one here until my antenna arrives ) I cant access ad try it. is there a reason why you asked? pm if necessary?

hi, i have just purchased an openbox as a starter to get used to the world of wonder !! it only has ftv channels but I also have a sky package up and running on the same LNB. its raining at the moment (in France) and my openbox is showing all ftv channels no problem, but my sky is stating no signal being received - any ideas why this might be happening ?

(ps signal strength etc on both sky and openbox are very good and I have unplugged the openbox in case there was some conflict - but nothing on sky at all)

In answer to your question one box shouldn't effect the other the fact you unplugged 1 and still have the same problem indicates there is no conflict. Reboot your skybox probably a random lock up or try swapping the cables in case one is dodgyy

I think I may have confused a couple of you - I have a skybox, as in sky + HD with full sky subscription. I am not able to view anything on it it and get the no sat signal is being received, yet I have an openbox and its connected to the same lnb (4 outlet) and I am able to watch all the fta channels - so a signal is being received by this box from the same lnb - so I am a little confused aswell!

as the two boxes are connected to the same lnb why is one able to receive the signal yet the other doesn't - ps, signal strength on both boxes is good when I check the signal quality etc. so I assume its not an issue with the coax?

its raining if that makes any difference ???

If you have a shotgun cable running from the dish and use one for the openbox and one for the skybox.

There will be a conflict. One will get the signal the other won't. Depending on which is switched on first.

You can only have one box running at a time. You will need to reboot the box to get it working again.

It's something to do with voltages / polarity from the LNB to the boxes being different from what I can remember.

Last edited:
ok, sorted, I disconnected sky box from the mains and left it a while. then plugged it back in, 5 mins later all working fine and the openbox is also working off the same shotgun cable?

Last edited:
Sounds like a random lock up just coincidence it happened when both were running. One box shouldn't effect another just using freeview side. Using shotgun cable makes no difference to using 2 seperate cables as they are both insulated from one another.

If you have a shotgun cable running from the dish and use one for the openbox and one for the skybox.

There will be a conflict. One will get the signal the other won't. Depending on which is switched on first.

You can only have one box running at a time. You will need to reboot the box to get it working again.

It's something to do with voltages / polarity from the LNB to the boxes being different from what I can remember.

Most people (including myself) can run a sky+ box & openbox with no problems from the same dish.

The only problem that might occur, is that some LNB's don't switch to vertical polarity on an openbox/skybox when it is used on the same dish with a sky+ box (or another satellite receiver). Then the "no signal fix" is required.

In this case the sky+ box will always work correctly (whether it's switched on first or not), but if the "no signal fix" is required then the openbox/skybox will show "no signal" on vertically polarised channels.

Back