Noobie Car Insurance

bees

VIP Member
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on car insurance for anyone who has just passed their test.

I've just started looking into the costs of getting my daughter on the road, little run around, not too bad, driving lessons not too bad if she doesn't need loads, car insurance for a new driver on their own policy madness !!! :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

So was looking for some advice, her own policy was starting at about £2000 a year dropping to £1300 with one years no claims.

I have only just started looking and I know some insurances have some driver monitoring device which is supposed to bring it down.

Or should I just insure the car under my name and add her to the policy ?

Does it matter who the car is registered to if I go down this route as I assume it will be cheaper.

Any pointers would be great :(y)::(y):

Last edited:
Hi Bees, went through this with my son. £2000 is about right for first year, think we paid about £1800 for 1.1l engine car.
He put me and his mum on the policy as named drivers with the insurance in his name to start earning no claims, it's all above board then. It's a case of biting the bullet.

My advice is don't go for the black box, too easy to get cought out on a road if your not sure of the speed limit, loads of 20mph introduced where I live which is virtually impossible to stick to. It's too restrictive, you always know when you're stuck behind one of these drivers lol

His second year of driving with one years no claims dropped to £840.
Hope this helps.

1 - Or should I just insure the car under my name and add her to the policy ?

2 - Does it matter who the car is registered to if I go down this route as I assume it will be cheaper.

Any pointers would be great :(y)::(y):
HI Bees,
On point 1 above - DO NOT do this if she is going to be the main driver but noted as an additional driver as it isn't legal (google - Fronting). It also leaves the issue that after a year, there'll be no No Claims Discount built up so the 2nd years insurance could be quite expensive.
On point 2 - Do not go down that route, but no, it doesn't matter although a car registered to yourself would more likely rouse suspicion.

In terms of general advice, go for as small a car as possible and check it is a low insurance group, get quotes with additional drivers to see if it brings the price down. Go for Comprehensive cover or TPF&T if a real banger not TPO.
Another way to potentially save money is for her to take the Pass Plus test, some insurers discount for this, run through some quotes to see if it is worthwhile. Good Luck

Car insurance is a minefield - it's different for everyone and they're not regulated so can charge whatever they like.

That price sounds fairly reasonable though to be honest these days - I passed my test in 2003 and my first car was a 1994 1.1 Clio and cost me about £900 back then (over 14 years ago). I know it's more expensive initially but to build up her own no claims bonus, she needs to be the main driver on the policy.

Leasing a car might be worth looking into.
Citoren dealership near me was offering a brand new citoren c1 on a lease with 2 years insurance especially for young drivers for £160 per month.

My lad passed his test in May
I paid 1700 quid for his insurance with a black box fitted.
Stupid money I know, but I looked at the possibility of adding him to my dads insurance, and that wasnt much cheaper.

It was my dad that said, sooner or later he will need his own insurance, so I swallowed the bitter pill and took it.
And havent looked back since
Regarding the black box - it monitors their driving and he got 360 quid back last month for good driving. They will review it in another 3 months, so who knows might get some back yet.

I have heard a few success stories from people who have used that new compare site called mustard recently saving them hundreds from what they were originally quoted that might be worth a look.

Yeah, I know what you mean about having to swallow the pill.
My dad put me on his insurance when I passed but when I got my own car
about 12 months later it counted for nothing.

Here is a quick run down of approx. quotes so far.

Her car, her policy £2000
Her car, her policy plus me as an additional driver £1300
My car, my policy plus her as additional "main" driver £ 1100

All these quotes are full comp, if you go third party only or TPFT they go up !! :confused::confused:

Not sure if she accrues any no claims with the last option.

Telematics / black box is an option with all the quotes.

@gravehead never thought about leasing, will take a look, thanks

Last edited:
I agree with ste because that is a good price to, the last option that may look tempting "additional main driver" is just basically getting you to tell them that she will use the car a lot and not just occasionally, it wouldn't accrue no claims, only the main driver does.

Last edited:
That with you added as the additional driver, her car her policy doesnt sound to bad at all, so yeah I agree with them.
Then shes off on her own insurance.
The problem with the black box is although it as its good points, there is only him legal to drive the car.

Must admit I am leaning towards the second option

But option three states she is the main driver even though I would own the car so it's perfectly legal
I would need to check if she accrues no claims discount with this option though.

If she doesn't then it looks like option 2 at the mo.

Will still check out leasing, might work for a couple of years to get some no claims then get her own.

Looking at the above post £160 per month, insurance plus car £1920

Against £1300 just for the insurance seems a good deal.

That's roughly £50 a month for the car if you offset them.

I can see the main thing is getting some no claims under your belt until it becomes reasonable.

Must admit I am leaning towards the second option

But option three states she is the main driver even though I would own the car so it's perfectly legal
I would need to check if she accrues no claims discount with this option though.

If she doesn't then it looks like option 2 at the mo.

Will still check out leasing, might work for a couple of years to get some no claims then get her own.

Looking at the above post £160 per month, insurance plus car £1920

Against £1300 just for the insurance seems a good deal.

That's roughly £50 a month for the car if you offset them.

I can see the main thing is getting some no claims under your belt until it becomes reasonable.

If she is on the insurance form as additional driver then the little drop down box lets you select main driver it's normally or has been just to say she's driving the car more than just occasionally, that definitely used to be the case.

Of course I may be wrong on this occasion, if it is that she will just be the proper main driver then that means that you are not as there can only be one lead driver earning no claims which would mean you're not going to be earning them yourself anymore.

me and the mrs got daughter her own car, about 8 yrs old 1.4 fiesta, she was legal owner and main driver on policy full comp. we added upto 3 additional drivers all well over 25 with no accidents in 5 yrs and the price just tumbled down. Also have a look at quid co, you could get good cash back? I think its defo worth getting their own policy to build the no claims.

It would be two policies, one for my main car if you like, nothing to do with her.

And one for the car I own on paper under my new policy, with her as the main driver, yes that's a drop down box option,
so I would want her to get the no claims on that policy not me.

I can see now that it's really about getting her some no claims bonus in the cheapest way possible as that's where all the cost is.

me and the mrs got daughter her own car, about 8 yrs old 1.4 fiesta, she was legal owner and main driver on policy full comp. we added upto 3 additional drivers all well over 25 with no accidents in 5 yrs and the price just tumbled down. Also have a look at quid co, you could get good cash back? I think its defo worth getting their own policy to build the no claims.
Those little things count I like the how many cars are at this address one that brings it down for me the more cars I put and it doesn't specify registered to address, also job title is very important that can bring it down if there's a different way of describing a job e.g gardener who could be mobile h
It would be two policies, one for my main car if you like, nothing to do with her.

And one for the car I own on paper under my new policy, with her as the main driver, yes that's a drop down box option,
so I would want her to get the no claims on that policy not me.

I can see now that it's really about getting her some no claims bonus in the cheapest way possible as that's where all the cost is.
ahh got you so your not declaring your no claims on the second vehicle for your daughter to bring price down then?

It's that complicated now its ridiculous as are the prices for young people, wait for the renewals normally more than the first years premium!

My son, 21, has been a named driver on his mums' policy for 4 years. There's no fronting as my wife is the main driver with him using the car when he comes home from uni.

The insurance costs have been around £500-550 a year,

I don't buy into the no claims discount argument because had he been the main driver it'd have cost, 0n average, £1650 per year. And there's no NCD that can recoup that for you!

Oh, and while they're still a provisional licence holder, insurance is surprisingly reasonable. It's when they pass their test and are let loose on their own it all goes haywire.

ahh got you so your not declaring your no claims on the second vehicle for your daughter to bring price down then?

No it's not quite like that, as she is the "main" driver it asks for both mine and hers. I think she gets the NCD being the main driver, but need to check.

But as mentioned above I can't really put myself down as a main driver and put her as additional if she drives it most of the time,
especially if I have my own car, with the "fronting" thing.

It's all changed since I was a lad, fully comp £1300, third party same details £3000 :grin::grin::grin::grin:

I'm not kidding.

@Bigdrinks
My understanding of the NCD is if the policy wasn't in your sons name or he wasn't the main driver on someone elses policy, even though he has been named for 4 yrs, that may not count for much
when he does get his own policy, so I think they may collar him at some point.

I may be wrong but as far as I can tell so far, that's how it seems to work.

Back