Old, non techie needs advice

Corby

TK Supporter
Hello all. I've been a member for some time but due to bereavement things got too much and I've not had the inclination to get myself sorted. Anyway, I have full package Sly+HD down stairs and the old box up in the bedroom. I have VM internet. Can I "share" my package around my home without having to get clines/nlines or other external support? I'm not computer savvy but I'm thinking of getting one extra cheap(ish) box and give it ago if possible, that is of course if anyone can start me off with what I'm going to do/need. The bedrooms have Ethernet connections from when my sons were living here.

All advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Corby

You're better off buying a box like the zgemma, download a backup from here to get setup then get a line.

This will be by far the easiest method. You just need to decide if you want a cable box with HD as you have virmin or a Sat box without HD. It also means you can cancel your sky package

You'll find plenty of help here

I would suggest looking at what is is you need from tv package and either reduce the package you have with Sly to save some money and get yourself a box which you can put a line on to watch upstairs so that you will get all the channels.

This is easy enough to do but you will need to run a network cable to the bedroom from VM router.

If you have one of the old Sly HD boxes it will have a rf out which you could run coax cable to a different room and watch what is on that box other option is wireless but this costs fare amount for the adapters to send tv signal.

Hello, Thanks for your replies. @mortmaru, the wireless option. Do you have a link to the equipment that I need and where to get it.
Thanks

Hello, Thanks for your replies. @mortmaru, the wireless option. Do you have a link to the equipment that I need and where to get it.
Thanks

I wouldn't even bother to look at them they are really expensive the cheapest ones I have seen are around £50 amazon has some

You already have ethernet so you just need another feed of the dish it's very easy to do or as I suggested before you could run a cable from one of your current boxes to another room.

Are you wanting to add extra bedroom TVs to the one you already have? Do they have sat feeds? You only need one in each room unless you want to record from the bedrooms. Each sat feed needs to go back to the LNB on the dish or to a multiswitch which is more complex and expensive to set up (quattro, not quad LNB from dish to the switch then feeds to each room). You can add a wifi dongle (£5 on Ebay/Amazon) to Zgemmas and Openboxes. That works well but if you have network connections already, then the boxes could plug in there.

Back