OPENATV anybody got setup instructions for openatv so i can add HDD and epg procedure

Hi all,

We have a zgemma twin with bluehd on it, were do I go from here with regards to mounting hdd and epg etc?

thanks

Using ATV you need to install from plugins in extensios find and install coolmanstvguild and from system plugins install crossepg
then set up crossepg and coolmanstvguild TV guild how you want it..
if you have no joy install latest Vix from Zgemma site as this has epg built into it.

But what about mounting and swaps of HDD, cheers

What type of HDD??? USB? NAS? Laptop/Desktop shared drive???
If a USB drive plugged into your box,
To Mount...... BLUE, MOUNTS, DEVICE MANAGER, select drive, GREEN, BLUE
To initialise.....BLUE, HARDDISKS, INITIALISATION, select drive and then OK (this formats the disk so use caution)
To convert Ext3 to Ext4 ........BLUE, HARDDISKS, CONVERT EXT3 to EXT4, select drive and OK

- I recommend you also have a USB Flash drive for storing the EPG and SWAP file etc as it gets frequently written to and over time will probably do more harm than good to a traditional hard disk.

As far as EPG... never used coolmanstvguild (or heard of it??) I just used CrossEpg. You may find it easier just to use my build as posted above?

I would recommend using openvix, I used ATV for a while in the past and it doesnt seem to be as user friendly as openvix, lots more support for openvix as well.

I would recommend using openvix, I used ATV for a while in the past and it doesnt seem to be as user friendly as openvix, lots more support for openvix as well.

More user friendly??? How? No OTA updates on the ZGemma if running Vix as you can't run official and therefore highly likely to end up with either semi-brick (requiring re-flash) or totally bricked box in future (just look back to what happened with all the clone VU boxes).... just look at the disdain shown to this box and it's manufacturer by members of the vix team...

I ViX will never support a receiver from them, I would rather delete the entire ViX GIT for ALL receivers than offer support to a two bit clone manufacturer.

OpenATV has official builds for the ZGemma (with OTA updates) and plenty of user support, especially if you can get by in German! Nobody has been able to explain why Vx is any better. I'm still fairly new to all this so would very much welcome your thoughts........

Vix is better in my view as it is a more complete image,it has epg integrated into image very easy to set up and everything you need is available from feeds like cams,skins etc..it's a very easy image to set up and simply less complicated than other images.

Hi yes I have used openATV loads of times..it's a perfectly good image but I just prefer Vix.
you will find Vix and ATV are very similar as the are both from OEalliance team,and Vix is a little less complicated to set up...probably the easiest image to use and set up.

Last edited:
I have also used openatv extensively and currently have it loaded to my alien 2+ because on that particular box it is better. But the zgemma and ibox etc I much prefer openvix, the softcams work much better, the plugins section works better and almost 99.99% of plugins actually work unlike openatv. The built in features like epg and autobouqets works better that the autobouquets plugin on the open atv and the support for openvix is in english, and has a larger user base in the uk, therefore offering more support. Firmware updates should always be done via a fresh image flash anyway, over the air updates are always dodgy. internet goes down for a second and your box is bricked

Yes NEVER update Vix image online/inbox as its a patched image...do that and you will kill your box...
unlike openATV which officially supports this box it is perfectly safe and fine to inbox/software update-update...

its not perfectly safe if it depends on an internet connection

Well I would not go that far,you will just be scaring everyone..it is absolutely 100% fine to update box via online/software update running openATV or any other directly supported image if in the unlikely event you loose your internet or something and it caused a problem you simply re flash with fresh image or restore a back up that's the very worst you will need to do....
BUT NOT the patched images like Vix ....updating this image inbox/via software update will result in a bricked box...

How do I do the skins guys ftp the vm skin to temp but not showing up in osd is it because I am using openatv?

Back