OpenATV - picture quality much worse than with OpenVix

Delta

After having used OpenVix on my H1 and now H.2H for two years, I decided to give OpenATV a try (primarily because of the lack of official Vix support, instability, and timeshift problems)
However I immediately noticed the picture quality is disappointing. I am very surprised by this, as I had assumed all video decoding / displaying was done in hardware, and thus what software you are running should not be able to affect it. Although I note that OpenATV has a "Scaler sharpness" setting which Vix doesn't have, so it looks like OpenATV *is* fannying around with the picture... (I've got this setting all the way up)

HD channels look like SD.
SD channels look like weak analogue TV! Really lacking sharpness.

I'm using an OpenATV build downloaded directly from their website, and the Sly HD skin. All video settings are the same as in Vix (HDMI output, 1080i, 50Hz)

If there isn't a fix to this, I will have to return to Vix....

Well I don't know what was going on, but I've just gone back to Vix and it's like night and day... :-/

Have you tried one of the backup images on this forum? Even if it's just briefly to check if the same occurs.

I jumped ship from ATV to ViX and I personally prefer it. I think if you do a decent settings backup then you can just flash the latest image and restore settings in not much more time than doing a software update. The plugins etc all work in the newer images.

Whats your settings? Menu /setup / video / mines
Hdmi
Disabled
1080p
50hz
Just scale
Just scale
I moved from vix to atv and picture qaulity is no different. Personally prefer atv.

HDMI
Disabled
1080i
50Hz
Pillarbox
Letterbox
(tried various settings for the scaler)

Exactly the same as in ViX.

I've bodged / hacked my current ViX setup to a point where I am happy with it, nice and stable, slick, and I really like the layout and graphics etc, so I think I'll stick with it.

(Might still try a pre-prepared OpenATV image from here if I get bored though... :) )

---------- Post Merged at 12:58 AM ----------

Next time I'm setting up a box, I'll put my OpenATV image back on mine and compare it side-by-side with ViX on the new one. Maybe with a camera on a tripod I'll get some photos that will show the difference.

Anyone else noticed that ooenatv 5.3 seems much worse than before in terms of sd picture quality? And has anyone else switched to Vix and seen an improvement?

funny you say that, ive just taken openvix off 4 h.2s's as the picture quality was crap and highly pixelated, swap to open atv and its back the way it should be, go figure lol

I have similar picture issues. I am using ZG Star H2 for cable only with WB 5.003 and am quite frustrated by the awful picture quality. Is there a Vix image I can try on the Star H2? Not sure it is supported? Can't see the point of getting a better box if the picture quality issue is software related.

Back