Cable Openwebif security

pitch183

I’ve had a look but can’t seem to see it, is there a way to create login credentials for openwebif? I’ve telnet’d into the box and changed the password but this only seems to be for ftp use etc.

openWebif only works inside your own network,
so as long as that is secure,
no worries
not completely so, if you check main page of openwebif you should see a variety of live links to various forums, BH Openvix etc
also if using oscam, if you add a given port number you can access you server connections via live log, the newer versions allow this access via a tab on lower left of main page, while it should be safe it has however internet access also, you used to be able to edit the mentioned port number & passwords & user name via oscam config, the version I'm using has no passwords or username requests

not completely so, if you check main page of openwebif you should see a variety of live links to various forums, BH Openvix etc
also if using oscam, if you add a given port number you can access you server connections via live log, the newer versions allow this access via a tab on lower left of main page, while it should be safe it has however internet access also, you used to be able to edit the mentioned port number & passwords & user name via oscam config, the version I'm using has no passwords or username requests

well then you need to secure your network better, if you are worried about webif compromising it.
nothing can get in or out of my network unless I admit it,
although, even NASA can be hacked, so nothing on t'internet is totally secure, but I'm as secure as I need to be [ hopefully ]
TIP : dont open ports unless you understand the consequences

Ok, just an update, I didn’t realise I had to access the settings from the zgemma itself. I’ve managed to port forward to my box , enabled security , and changed the password, I can see all my bouquets on my phone outside my WiFi, but streams won’t play, I’m going to set up access to the port via my phones IP address only

Ok, just an update, I didn’t realise I had to access the settings from the zgemma itself. I’ve managed to port forward to my box , enabled security , and changed the password, I can see all my bouquets on my phone outside my WiFi, but streams won’t play, I’m going to set up access to the port via my phones IP address only

does your phone have a fixed IP.?
doubtful,,,,,,,,,
anyway, IP addresses, like MAC addresses , can be spoofed, so thats not really that good a security fix.

You are getting confused I think, the links on the openwebif main page are outgoing links so you can go and visit the links. That's different to being able to access openwebif from outside of your network.

If you're external ip address is 81.123.112.233 if you try to access that ip in your browser it will not open openwebif, the same if you add the oscam port to the end, again you will not be able to access the oscam panel. If you can then your router needs to be secured as you probably have port forwarding open or something.

Back to your question, you can password protect and change the port of Openwebif via the OpenWebif plugin in the Plugin Browser on your box.

ur missing the point m8, not one bit worried about being compromised, just pointing out you saying openwebif just works on your local network, which isn't the case, it has internet access, you can edit your oscam details on your local network amend various oscam files add lines. it will then allow you to connect to your sever, watch live connection , where your ecm requests are being delivered from, card or cache,if you are being denied access ,btw I don't need any tips, thanks all the same, end of the day openweb has internet access not just local, re getting in & out of your network, some 3rd party plugins can do this also, how do you think updates are offered to you for these, the majority of plugins are safe , but there have been 'off' ones over the years

ur missing the point m8, not one bit worried about being compromised, just pointing out you saying openwebif just works on your local network, which isn't the case, it has internet access, you can edit your oscam details on your local network amend various oscam files add lines. it will then allow you to connect to your sever, watch live connection , where your ecm requests are being delivered from, card or cache,if you are being denied access ,btw I don't need any tips, thanks all the same, end of the day openweb has internet access not just local, re getting in & out of your network, some 3rd party plugins can do this also, how do you think updates are offered to you for these, the majority of plugins are safe , but there have been 'off' ones over the years

erm,
and this is exactly what I was alluding to,
your box wouldnt actually work if it didnt have access to the internet.
its about stopping external people accessing in,

What I’m looking to do, is be able to stream my channels to my phone outside my home network, so far, I’ve port forwarded the relevant port, and can access on 3G via my phone. It shows all bouquets, but doesn’t play the channels. I have to input my new login details to enable me to be connected. Any advice on a better set up etc?

it can be done, its not easy, and it requires a static IP or some way of finding out what your IP is.

grog, the reply was to steptoe m8, pointing out the different uses openweb has & that it use internet connections to do this ,it can do more than people give it credit, the newer versions don't ask for verifications, never saw a version that wasn't either root & password, you could change them as you said & the server access port via oscam configs, I'd say the issue you mentioned may be in part to openweb bouquet editor. There were 3rd party plugins, that other than updating were communicating with their own servers to detriment of box performance,

re what op wants to do stream to phone, i don't stream much as such, but about 5 or 6 years back the vu-player plug in was available to do this, the plug was pulled, for whatever reason, it was a bit hit & miss, they did intend revisiting it, but as it's something that wouldn't interest me I didn't pay it much heed

Managed to get it working , I had to port forward port 8001 and click transcode for it to work on my phone outside the network. Weird thing is, inside my network, it plays flawlessly without the need for transcoding, outside the network, I need to click transcode as nothing plays, it is however, very choppy and unwatchable outside the network. It’s a pity, as had this worked, and I managed to properly secure the connections, this would have been very handy for me.

Managed to get it working , I had to port forward port 8001 and click transcode for it to work on my phone outside the network. Weird thing is, inside my network, it plays flawlessly without the need for transcoding, outside the network, I need to click transcode as nothing plays, it is however, very choppy and unwatchable outside the network. It’s a pity, as had this worked, and I managed to properly secure the connections, this would have been very handy for me.
have you tried resetting the IP on your phone.? your provider will at some point change it, and also your house IP, unless you have fixed IPs on them.
I've never need to transcode anything when I used my phone outside my network, but that was a year or so ago.

have you tried resetting the IP on your phone.? your provider will at some point change it, and also your house IP, unless you have fixed IPs on them.
I've never need to transcode anything when I used my phone outside my network, but that was a year or so ago.

As yet, I’ve not set up the limited access to the port, I’ve just opened port 80 and 8001, so all traffic can access it, do you think it’s still worthwhile resetting the phone ip? What app did you use on your phone bud?

As yet, I’ve not set up the limited access to the port, I’ve just opened port 80 and 8001, so all traffic can access it, do you think it’s still worthwhile resetting the phone ip?
well, if you have restricted access to your phone IP at present it wont reconnect when your phone IP resets, which it ewill do, unless you have a fixed IP on your phone, and home network

well, if you have restricted access to your phone IP at present it wont reconnect when your phone IP resets, which it ewill do, unless you have a fixed IP on your phone, and home network

I don’t mind changing settings now and then, I know my external ip will change but I can sort that with other methods. I just can’t figure out why it plays fine inside the network but nothing outside unless I hit transcode, not sure if you seen me asking what app you used above? I’m on an iPhone if it helps

I don’t mind changing setting now and then, I know my external ip will change but I can sort that with other methods. I just can’t figure out why it plays fine inside the network but nothing outside unless I hit transcode, not sure if you see masking what app you used above? I’m on an iPhone if it helps

I have fixed IPs,
your internal [ home network ] will change and that can be sorted,
but how can you remotely allow access from your phone if you have limited access to its current IP , ?

Iphone, best pay Apple a load of money to get an app for it then, that seems to be how they work, mostly

As of now, I’ve not limited the access, I’m just trying to figure out why I’m having issues playing channels outside of the home network, once I figure this out, I’ll look at securing it further, on reflection, limiting access via my phones IP address may not be a route I’ll go down, but I’m sure there’s other safeguards I could put in place

As of now, I’ve not limited the access, I’m just trying to figure out why I’m having issues playing channels outside of the home network, once I figure this out, I’ll look at securing it further, on reflection, limiting access via my phones IP address may not be a route I’ll go down, but I’m sure there’s other safeguards I could put in place

I think you will haver issues if you dont have fixed IPs,
only my thoughts though,
they may be ways around it, but I think they may be complicated

Back