Cable Openwebif security

Now that I think about it, my router has kept the same ip address’s for many of my connected devices for about 2 years now. I have a few security cams that I’ve fav’d using the original IP address in my browser, those have remained the same. Perhaps lucky but I’ll see how it goes. Just need to troubleshoot this more , works bloddy flawless in the house !

Now that I think about it, my router has kept the same ip address’s for many of my connected devices for about 2 years now. I have a few security cams that I’ve fav’d using the original IP address in my browser, those have remained the same. Perhaps lucky but I’ll see how it goes. Just need to troubleshoot this more , works bloddy flawless in the house !

its your outside IP address that changes,

Yeah, I have no issue updating that when it changes, I get an alert on my phone when it alters, happy to input new details when needed ,

but if you lock access to you phones current IP address then that will change as well,
unless you use some sort of p2p software, or use fixed IP on your phone as well

but if you lock access to you phones current IP address then that will change as well,
unless you use some sort of p2p software, or use fixed IP on your phone as well

Becoming more awkward but as I said previously, I will prob not limit access to my phones ip, if I get it working, I’ll look at other ways of adding more security. I can access my security cams outside the network, just every month or so, I need to update the external address with the up to date one, as I said, I’d be happy to do this. Thanks for your input

Becoming more awkward but as I said previously, I will prob not limit access to my phones ip, if I get it working, I’ll look at other ways of adding more security. I can access my security cams outside the network, just every month or so, I need to update the external address with the up to date one, as I said, I’d be happy to do this. Thanks for your input
your phones IP address will change, unless you pay your mobile provider for a fixed IP on it, I'm not even sure this is possible on a normal contract.

there is a good chance you access your CCTV via p2p ,
thats how most work, unless you have opened public ports on your router

your phones IP address will change, unless you pay your mobile provider for a fixed IP on it, I'm not even sure this is possible on a normal contract.

It doesn’t matter if my phones ip changes though, as I’ve said above I’ll prob not restrict access in this way, I’ll just forward the ports required but look into securing access further , without being specific about the phones IP address if you know what I mean

It doesn’t matter if my phones ip changes though, as I’ve said above I’ll prob not restrict access in this way, I’ll just forward the ports required but look into securing access further , without being specific about the phones IP address if you know what I mean

sounds good mate,
the issue you then get is that you have open ports that anyone can access with a bit of work,
and allows access to your whole network, not just your box, but everything connected to your router/modem

sounds good mate,
the issue you then get is that you have open ports that anyone can access with a bit of work,
and allows access to your whole network, not just your box, but everything connected to your router/modem

I have open ports for my cams, but both are complex username and passwords for access. What’s your thoughts on this?

I had open ports for my cams, but both are complex username and passwords for access. What’s your thoughts on this?
open ports are open ports,
any password under 22 characters are readily available via RAINBOW TABLES ,over 22 chars takes a decent computer and a few hours to crack,
its up to you, I wouldnt have any unsecured open ports on my network, depends how paranoid you are, or how crucial your info is to you.

open ports are open ports,
any password under 22 characters are readily available via RAINBOW TABLES ,over 22 chars takes a decent computer and a few hours to crack,
its up to you, I wouldnt have any unsecured open ports on my network, depends how paranoid you are, or how crucial your info is to you.

How would you secure an open port? And don’t say close it hehe

good question,
you will never 100% secure it,
and without fixed IP , I dont really know tbh
I have fixed IPs on my home network, so it kinda works a bit different

In regards to having a fixed external IP -
There are plenty of dynamic DNS solutions such as no-ip and DDNS which are mostly free. When your external IP changes, then your DDNS address changes to match. A lot of ISP routers have built-in support for it too - you just have to set up an account and turn Dynamic DNS on the router settings. Once done, you can then access via your DDNS address - for example, the no-ip solution will give you a yourchosenname.hopto.org address. TC

Last edited:
There are plenty of dynamic DNS solutions such as no-ip and DDNS which are mostly free. When your external IP changes, then your DDNS address changes to match. A lot of ISP routers have built-in support for it too - you just have to set up an account and turn Dynamic DNS on the router settings. TC

hardly very secure though, you are letting a 3rd party access your IP

And how is that insecure? You aren't opening anything up for this. I could create a DNS record for Google's front end IP but it doesn't make them any less or more secure.

And how is that insecure? You aren't opening anything up for this. I could create a DNS record for Google's front end IP but it doesn't make them any less or more secure.

makes you wonder why no insurance companies will insure your data if you use services like that and not fixed IPs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
if you allow a 3rd party to search your IP address then how is it not allowing yet another area of exploitation.?

I’ve had a look but can’t seem to see it, is there a way to create login credentials for openwebif? I’ve telnet’d into the box and changed the password but this only seems to be for ftp use etc.
OpenWebIf usually will authenticate for any user account on the box, if you telnet to it as root, you can create a new user account with the useradd command. To set a password for the account it would be passwd username - it will then prompt for a password.

makes you wonder why no insurance companies will insure your data if you use services like that and not fixed IPs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
if you allow a 3rd party to search your IP address then how is it not allowing yet another area of exploitation.?
Because that's how DNS works and has done since the internet began?

Because that's how DNS works and has done since the internet began?
wow,
and your point is.?
having a fixed IP if you need to access your data outside the network is more secure than any other method,
in fact, using any other method is simply making your internal a lot more insecure than it needs to be,
like having passwords less than 22 characters, anyone with access to your IP with a set of rainbow tables and a half decent PC would have your network cracked in under 24hrs if you use services like you suggest, probably a lot less

wow,
and your point is.?
having a fixed IP if you need to access your data outside the network is more secure than any other method,
in fact, using any other method is simply making your internal a lot more insecure than it needs to be,
like having passwords less than 22 characters, anyone with access to your IP with a set of rainbow tables and a half decent PC would have your network cracked in under 24hrs if you use services like you suggest, probably a lot less
I think I made my point pretty clear. Having a DDNS address is no less secure than having a fixed. What's to stop anyone scavenging your fixed IP and running a targeted sniff attack for a prolonged period of time?

Back