Peugeot 308 1st Gear Juddering

My dad's corsa did same and took it garage and they said it was clutch if I remember rightly or something to do with it releasing either too fast or too slow I can always ask him and let you know mate

I think I'm going to have to get it looked at, time for a new clutch I think, probably best part of 1k, the car has only done 37k it's a joke. I'm never buying a diesel again, had to replace a clutch and DMF in my last diesel at 51k......its not like I ride the clutch or anything, DMF's are a joke.

I think I'm going to have to get it looked at, time for a new clutch I think, probably best part of 1k, the car has only done 37k it's a joke. I'm never buying a diesel again, had to replace a clutch and DMF in my last diesel at 51k......its not like I ride the clutch or anything, DMF's are a joke.
I've always been told don't buy diesel they fekk up too easy

Cant see a dmf having an effect on rear of car,dmf going when stationery will give a vibration and engine shudder and bringing up the revs it goes out of it.What are the rear shocks and tyres like?If you press clutch pedal with hand when engine is running can you feel a slight hop thinking of fecked fingers on pressure plate.

i don't think it's the clutch or it would do it all the time.
If it's been sat in traffic, the engine will be hot, i think it may be a belt or possibly something to do with the oil/water system
have you checked all fluids including the power steering fluid?

Checked everything and all levels are fine, it's going to have to go into the garage. Prime example, I drove it this morning, car was cold, no juddering. Got half way to work, temp gauge was about half up, juddering started. Rear tyres are fairly new, only a few thousand miles on them. Shocks, seem ok to me, but I don't really know what I'm looking for. When I get the juddering in 1st gear it feels like it's under the front of the car, but if I rev high and release the clutch slow it doesn't judder......that's what makes me think its the clutch.

The rear juddering only happens every now and then and only when going from 4th into 5th, it's like the back of the car shakes, but if you speed up it goes.....I have had the wheel balance checked as I thought it might be that.

Last edited:
Fuel pump was replaced by Peugeot under warranty. The car used to feel like it had no power, but it only happened when the fuel was low. Turned out the fuel pump was breaking apart, but they cleaned out the whole fuel system, new fuel pump and filter, that was about 12 months ago. It can't be that as the car is almost full of fuel now and it's not like it's losing power. I hope it's something simple and relatively cheap.

could be the water pump, i changed mine on a Citroen a few years ago, put a new timing belt on at the same time...I was actually just changing the timing belt and found the pump was leaking, no point leaving that there for the sake of £20

Luckily my local garage is trustworthy so I'm going to let him have a look. Worst part is I guarantee they will drive it and say it's not doing anything wrong for us.....happens every time.

Luckily my local garage is trustworthy so I'm going to let him have a look. Worst part is I guarantee they will drive it and say it's not doing anything wrong for us.....happens every time.

It’s either the temp sensor or the thermostat is my guess.

Temp sensor is easy mate buy them for a fiver and plug it in yourself. It will eliminate that. Should be tutorial how to do it on YouTube.

Right, I'm getting nowhere with this. Local garage can't find anything wrong and says he doesn't want to suggest changing the clutch and DMF in case it's wasted money.

Peugeot say it's the clutch and DMF.

Is there any easy way to tell?

Car judders in 1st, it used to do it only when warm, but now it's pretty much all the time, only when pulling off from a standing start. Then when the car is at 50-55 mph it shakes like a sh!tting dog.

It's not the wheel balance, I have checked this, swapped wheels round etc and the shaking doesn't change, it feels like under the car.

Also, when changing from 4th to 5th at any speed sometimes the car judders like it's losing power.

I don't want to spend 1k to find out a clutch and DMF doesn't fix it. Is this now sounding like a knackered DMF?

Could even be the maf sensor. I would get a diagnostics done and it will rule out faulty sensors etc.

I think I am going to have to pay Peugeot for a diagnostics check, I just spoke to them and they want £70 to do this, but then they will deduct it off the price of any repairs needed. I suppose I have no option, I'm going to let them do that and then check over everything they can see on the car and if that throws up nothing I am going to have to admit defeat and get the clutch/DMF done.

Could well be the DMF / clutch plate assembly.
Only other 2 faults ive seen diagnosing faults on cars causing juddering etc were a badly worn driveshaft and a collapsed engine mount.
Extreme fault was a rear wheel was missing a couple of bolts that were removed by a thief and left 2 studs in loose and the rear wheel was shaking but i very much doubt this is your symptoms etc

Could well be the DMF / clutch plate assembly.
Only other 2 faults ive seen diagnosing faults on cars causing juddering etc were a badly worn driveshaft and a collapsed engine mount.
Extreme fault was a rear wheel was missing a couple of bolts that were removed by a thief and left 2 studs in loose and the rear wheel was shaking but i very much doubt this is your symptoms etc

The only way I can explain it is, when you set off in 1st it feels like something is loose under the engine, almost like the engine is loose and rattling around. When I get the judder at speed or changing gear, the easiest way to describe it is, it's like driving over a cobbled street. I wish I could afford to get rid of it and buy a new car, maybe I can suggest it for the next raffle.

When the car is stood idling is there any movement on the engine at all etc usually when a DMF is about to pack up it inbalances the engine and you will see it shake etc

When the car is stood idling is there any movement on the engine at all etc usually when a DMF is about to pack up it inbalances the engine and you will see it shake etc

No, nothing that I can see. I have even had someone hold the clutch at biting point with the handbrake on and there is no rattling or noise. The Mrs is taking it into Peugeot on Wednesday to argue the whole situation with them. I had to laugh before, I had the bonnet up looking for things that may be loose, tried to close the bonnet and now the bonnet catch is playing up, bit of WD40 later and it closed, but I just couldn't believe it, what else can go wrong with this car!

Back