phoenix hd a850 setup.

Have an a780 and only recently started the freezing. It's not watchable, stop every 30 seconds for 10 seconds each time. My a850 seems fine, can't say I have noticed any problem with my one.

Hi. So I've had my a850 box for about a year now and hardly seen any problems with it. I get the occasional frozen picture or at most, all the channels are lost (but is only temporary). However, since last week, I haven't been able to get any channels (apart from the normal BBC, ITV, Channel 4 etc). I have tried the Factory Reset / Delete All Data method, but to no avail. I've been tearing out my hair trying to figure it all out and keep hitting a brick wall every time. Very frustrating indeed!

My next approach would be to download the firmware on to a USB stick (Internet Upgrade isn't an option as the box freezes and shows / does nothing) and see if this fixes the problem. Does anybody else with the HD A850 box have this issue? I can scan in the 49 channels and terrestrial channels are fine. I have a VM Supercr*p..*AHEM*, I mean Superhub router with a -10dB Attenuator attached to the cable output from the router.

Everything was fine up until I decided to buy my new LG TV and rearrange my living room. My router was dettached for over an hour and had reset back to its factory settings. Not sure if this is the cause of the issue, but its the only thing I can think of that may be the root cause.

Any help appreciated and thanks to all for taking the time out to read this.

If I find a fix, I will be sure to share with you kind people. I'm on my last few handful of hair. I don't want you ripping yours out over frustrating issues! :bye:

Hi Headscratchr

As you're only getting the terrestrial channels it sounds like your box isn't connecting to the net for some reason. Check that the superhub is not in modem only mode as this disables some of the ports at the back (if your wifi is working it's not). Try the different ports too. Also make sure Port Scan detection and IP Flood detection are disabled in the superhub settings. These are in the advanced settings under firewall. No idea what this does in all honesty but not having these disabled seems to cause people problems when updating the firmware so might be worth a try, although I doubt it's a firmware issue.

I'm sure you've probably already done this but sometimes disconnecting and reconnecting everything is worth a try just in case something's loose or in the wrong place, we've all done it!

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Last edited:
what does this mean,
" best to scan your box from main coaxial feed no splitters or though extensions.
connect the coaxial cable with the adapter supplied if needed to input
have your lan cable ready but not plugged in yet "
that also means removing attenuator,you should have got that box fixed so no need for it.

how do you know you have correct netid,and rebooting box and modem to get connection to lan ,hard wired?

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. My box now seems to be working really well. No glitches or frozen picture. The root cause was a damaged CAT5 cable! I had a brand new 7.5 meter CAT5 lying around and decided to use it not knowing that there was a tiny laceration near the plastic cable tie. I tried the same cable in my XBOX, which, surprise surprise, didn't work, but my cable box did. Valuable lesson learned. And a powerful message to anyone with the same issue...check the quality of your cables, cos a small issue like this can cause big problems!

i am having a problem with my A850 i am wondering if anyone can help i have connected my box and there is no signal to the TV and it just says NO CH

I might have to try out one of these boxes are they worth the up grade from the A780?
If you wish to see each blade of grass on the football pitch... Then yes it worth the upgrade..! But if it ain't broke.. Don't fix it.. And they are very rare now..

Hi Spooky123,

The HD box is definitely worth the upgrade if you like your movies and sports to be in high definition. I can see the massive leap in picture and sound quality. As they are discontinued, you find it hard to come by. Don't dispare though. I hear that a new box is on its way that will be geared towards 4k and / or 3D! Not sure when these are coming about or if they will have a record function too, but with technology, anything is possible once the right price for hardware is negotiated. If I heard more, I'll be sure to post on the forum.

Hi Spooky123,

The HD box is definitely worth the upgrade if you like your movies and sports to be in high definition. I can see the massive leap in picture and sound quality. As they are discontinued, you find it hard to come by. Don't dispare though. I hear that a new box is on its way that will be geared towards 4k and / or 3D! Not sure when these are coming about or if they will have a record function too, but with technology, anything is possible once the right price for hardware is negotiated. If I heard more, I'll be sure to post on the forum.

cheers think i will stick with the a780 until something new comes out then.

Hi all, new to this site. Likely to have been answered already so apologies.

Looking to buy a a780 from lincats.... Two questions:

Are they still recommended to buy from and are the instructions on page 1 for a850 valid for a780 too?

Thanks in advanced.

Back