Picture freezing when recording two channels

at the moment unsure even posted on the other place with different signal results between my box and yours.

If it doesn't happen when recording two different FTA channels then it can be a line issue, try a different line, try a few. Also does it happen when recording one FTA and an encrypted channel?

My signal strengths are

SNR 89%
AGC 91%

For cable tuner on VM UK. Using a Konig splitter 5-2400Mhz, yes I know it's a sat splitter, but it works lol

Reading through it sounds like a faulty tuner to me rather than a line or connection issue.

I'm thinking that if you normally view on tuner A for example then it will record on tuner A.

So when recording on A the box will then let you view on Tuner B.

So my thinking is Tuner B may be faulty, or vice versa depending on how you set up the box initially.

An easy way to check is to set tuner A as "not configured" and the box will be forced to use tuner B.

Test each tuner individually to see if the picture is breaking up when viewing and recording on them individually.

I'm wondering if it's just the fact that the box is swapping the tuner you are viewing while recording is taking place, rather than an actual recording issue
causing the picture to break up.

I think the KV A850 used to have similar with the picture breaking up if the signal strength was on the high side, and people used an attenuator to lower it slightly
similar to the one you linked.

Last edited:
bees do you have a ber reading on your box?

yes 850 had to have the variable attenuator on the first launch of boxes

If it doesn't happen when recording two different FTA channels then it can be a line issue, try a different line, try a few. Also does it happen when recording one FTA and an encrypted channel?

I have tried another line & it is still the same.

Like I said I can record some encrypted channel's & it works great but with others lets say Channel 5 HD & BBC 2 HD the OScam log looks like what I posted above.

I did what you asked & recorded a FTA channel (Channel 5) & a encrypted channel (BBC 2 HD) & no the problem does not happen.

I guess because only one encrypted channel is having to be decoded & not two as the same time?

I wondered if this has anything to do with the frequency as Channel 5 HD & BBC 2 HD are on the same frequency for me.

So Film 4 HD & H2 HD are also on that frequency and I tried recording Film 4 HD & H2 HD and the same problem happens as if I recorded Channel 5 HD & BBC 2 HD.

I then tried other channels that are on the same frequency (TLC HD & ITV2 HD) but it was perfect & the OScam log looks perfect.

On the frequency for TLC HD & ITV2 HD these are the signal stats:

7592724825.jpg

No, I don't know why but it won't give me any reading on the signal finder for cable, I have to press OK twice.

My signal strengths are

SNR 89%
AGC 91%

For cable tuner on VM UK. Using a Konig splitter 5-2400Mhz, yes I know it's a sat splitter, but it works lol

Reading through it sounds like a faulty tuner to me rather than a line or connection issue.

I'm thinking that if you normally view on tuner A for example then it will record on tuner A.

So when recording on A the box will then let you view on Tuner B.

So my thinking is Tuner B may be faulty, or vice versa depending on how you set up the box initially.

An easy way to check is to set tuner A as "not configured" and the box will be forced to use tuner B.

Test each tuner individually to see if the picture is breaking up when viewing and recording on them individually.

I'm wondering if it's just the fact that the box is swapping the tuner you are viewing while recording is taking place, rather than an actual recording issue
causing the picture to break up.

I think the KV A850 used to have similar with the picture breaking up if the signal strength was on the high side, and people used an attenuator to lower it slightly
similar to the one you linked.

I to thought a fault tuner so I purchased one of these: VU+ Hybrid Dual/Twin 2 x DVB-C/T2 Tuner for Vu+ UNO / SOLO SE V2 / ULTIMO / DUO2

I have installed it in slot 1 in the box and done the same test as before (record Channel 5 HD & BBC 2 HD) but this time tuner A & tuner B are in the same card & the problem still happens.

I left the other tuner that was installed from factory in slot 2.

If I just view/record one channel on tuner A everthing is great. Does that not eliminate tuner A as the source of the fault?
- - - Updated - - -

Its funny when I record Channel 5 HD & BBC 2 HD on the front display it shows only tuner A is in operation.

Is this because Channel 5 HD & BBC 2 HD or are the same frequency?

With Channel 5 HD & BBC 2 HD recording if I also view lets say ITV 1 HD the front panel then shows tuners A & B are in use.

Last edited:
so box is hybrid tuner=2 and another cable tuner in slot 2,does that give 3 same readings in signal finder when you move >to next tuner?

so box is hybrid tuner=2 and another cable tuner in slot 2,does that give 3 same readings in signal finder when you move >to next tuner?

So if I under stand you right you want to know the signal strength on each tuner?

Any good?

Tuner A (Tuner Card 1)
787cf5efb0.jpg

Tuner B (Tuner Card 1)
787cf9bbe9.jpg

Tuner C (Tuner Card 2)
787cfe6735.jpg

So yes you are correct, tuner card 1 has two tuners & tuner card 2 has 1 tuner.

The loop out on tuner card 1 is connected to RF in on tuner card 2 so I do need to run two seperate coax cables to each tuner card.

Last edited:
answer i got on other place was only way to get cable checked would be with a meter,maybe hybrid tuners are much better and have a higher level than regular tuners,only think left is to try variable attenuator to see if it fixes issues.

unsure if you can/or have set tuner c with a or b to record preferences and other to view?

answer i got on other place was only way to get cable checked would be with a meter,maybe hybrid tuners are much better and have a higher level than regular tuners,only think left is to try variable attenuator to see if it fixes issues.

unsure if you can/or have set tuner c with a or b to record preferences and other to view?

As far as I am aware I can only enable or disable each tuner, I cant set which tuner does what with openvix.

I have tried disabling tuner A and then recording Channel 5 HD & BBC Two HD so tuner B is recording Channel 5 HD & tuner C is recording BBC Two HD and the problem persists.

I have ordered an this (Mercury 122.731 Adjustable Attenuator F Type Connection 0-20dB Adjustment - New) variable attenuator so I hope it will show up Tuesday.

Where is the best place to install it just before the Box or near just after the splitter?

looking in customise preferred tuner for recording ??
most people would have a twin/y spitter one to modem/router side and other side to box.
do you have another splitter added also?
your box has 2 feed cables i think so would need before that splitter to reduce both feeds.

Hi,

What cam are you using? MGCAM or CCAM i know OSCAM is a bit tricky and some people have mixed results.

I have tried CCcam MGcamd & OScam. I have had help setting up my OScam so I know its been done right.

- - - Updated - - -

looking in customise preferred tuner for recording ??
most people would have a twin/y spitter one to modem/router side and other side to box.
do you have another splitter added also?
your box has 2 feed cables i think so would need before that splitter to reduce both feeds.

Yes I have the 2 way Tratec spitter where the VM line comes into my house & one goes to my modem & the other to my box.

No other splitter, even in the brown box outside.

I knocked up a quick diagram of the layout:

7998d5aee6.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I use a loop cable.

Because one tuner card as two tuners built into it you only require one coax cable to feed it.

Then the second is fed by the tuner card 1 via the loop out on tuner card one with a loop cable.

- - - Updated - - -

how does one cable feed all 3 tuners? maybe it comes with a loop cable?

I think this will explain it better than I can in words:

7a0a76cb62.jpg

Attachments

• 79be2da745.jpg
    79be2da745.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Back