Plastic plumbing help bathroom

miketingle

I am about to replace bath and sink with a shower and new sink i have bought all JG Speedfit connections my only concern is cutting of the pipe i have a rotational pipe cutter which is apparently is for plastics but when i use this on the pipe the cutter is forming a V in the pipe it all cuts ok and my inserts fit but i was wondering if anyone else has done this?
I don't need leaks when it is all hidden in walls.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Should be ok buddy as long as its splitting the pipe length ways. Ive used hacksaws when using pushfit i know its a bit amateur but never ever had any problems. Just make sure you semd the pipe all the way home when pushing it in some have ribs on the insert so you can feel it has inserted fully

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Also while you cut it do a twisting action to slice into it it shouldnt press it together as much mate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still need to come out ata 90° mosh

Test before tiling lol

Last edited by a moderator:
thats ok as your connecting your mixer valve i am assuming,just use a little junior hack saw and make sure you cut the pipes square as you can if any issues with the pipe cutter,Make sure you put the inserts into the pipe so not to crush the ends,Get 2 plastic stop ends and you can then test for any leaks

Great advise guys managed to lay my hands on a plastic pipe cutter from work this feels much better, the inserts seem to fit in the pipe properly now as well.

Hi mate, you should really use a proprietary pipe cutter for plastic pipe. They have a ratchet action and very sharp blades, and the pipe is held square in the jaws, (essential with plastic pipe) . I would also recommend using the stainless steel inserts in the pipe ends even though not absolutely essential with plastic connectors. Make sure you secure the pipes to the wall with plenty of brackets to minimise any movement caused by fluctuation of pressure or water hammer as this may cause leaks, and as previously stated minimise concealed joints.

Using the correct pipe cutter (use the correct tool for the job) will result in clean square cuts, steel liners or steel pipe inserts only need to be used if behind a wall but the best inserts to use are superseals as you will find a firmer fit. Ensure when the pipe is pushed into the fitting you firmly push it all the way in, less fittings will prevent potential leaks, any isolation valves etc should be preferable full bore so as not to restrict the water further. Good luck and i hope this helps

Using the correct pipe cutter (use the correct tool for the job) will result in clean square cuts, steel liners or steel pipe inserts only need to be used if behind a wall but the best inserts to use are superseals as you will find a firmer fit. Ensure when the pipe is pushed into the fitting you firmly push it all the way in, less fittings will prevent potential leaks, any isolation valves etc should be preferable full bore so as not to restrict the water further. Good luck and i hope this helps

I have used copper and plastic pipes for plumbing, as far as I am aware the rotational pipe cutters are for copper pipe only, as previously mentioned plastic pipe cutters work on a ratchet system, silverline do a reasonably priced plastic pipe cutter. plastic or metal inserts are required for inside any plastic pipe that is cut, no inserts are required if pushing a copper pipe into a plastic fitting. hope this helps.

in the uk domestic pipes should be generally 15 or 22mm all the plastic fittings should correspond with this

in older houses, the existing copper will probably be 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch, this is from before we went to 15 and 22 mm respectively

The steel inserts are for hep2o the plastic are for speedfit (or the B&Q rip off ) they are only really used to stop the pipe bending inside the fittings and leaking, 15mm and 22mm copper will fit into any of the plastic fittings .The main reason for the correct cutters is to stop burrs which will tear the rubber seal inside if you can't get your hands to a set a sharp(new ) stanley blade will do but make sure its a " square " cut hope this helps

Back