Plex server.

Evening all, as terrarium has gone up the pipe I'm wondering what's the best option out there now for movies, tv series etc. Have heard a few people mentioning about plex servers, so, what is it, who does them and are they any good in terms of content offered etc. And which devices can you run them on? I'm guessing a zgemma is out of the question, however I also have android boxes too.
Cheers ears

A plex sub will cost around £40 a year. They have loads of content both tv and movies. They work like netflix only better i have mine on a firestick but plex will work on loads of devices not sure about enigma 2.

Plex is a system where you can share your home media collection with your family via a pin connection, so your kids in Australia could watch your movies you have stored in the UK. Plex providers use this system to provide loads of content for a fee of around £40 a year. Also, most IPTV providers, like mine, will include Video On Demand (VOD) which is similar.

Re Terrarium, I heard about Tea TV which is supposedly similar. I dunno how good it is, but have a look.

Evening all, as terrarium has gone up the pipe I'm wondering what's the best option out there now for movies, tv series etc. Have heard a few people mentioning about plex servers, so, what is it, who does them and are they any good in terms of content offered etc. And which devices can you run them on? I'm guessing a zgemma is out of the question, however I also have android boxes too.
Cheers ears
Just to let you know Terrarium is up and running again I downloaded the cracked version last night and all is good

The thing about Plex is that you can find the Movie, TV show episode you want to watch, click it and it will play. VOD with IPTV is the same. Apps like Terrarium, you have to search for the links, then choose one, find it won't play, choose another one, poor quality, find another one etc etc.

It's all about what you want, if you are happy to search through links then stick with free apps, but for ease of use Plex/VOD is a lot better. I used to always think, why would you pay £40 a year for Plex, it's all free on Kodi? In the end I took a Plex trial and I wouldn't use anything else now, it's just so much faster.

I think there are limitations to both plex v terrarium type apps. Plex has a layout similar to Netflix, offline sync, ondeck. Although you’re restricted to what is available on the server, some take requests.
Terrarium type app has more choice, you’ll find more obscure stuff here. Paired with a RD account, I prefer terrarium. Although if terrarium does die, alternatives don’t seem as good.
Both are better than IPTV Vod in terms of ease of use imo. I’ve only started my plex sub a couple days ago so with more use I might rate it higher.

can you download off plex and watch anytime? E.g on the train via a tablet? or do need internet for it to work?

some plex services allow you to download.

atm plex are cracking down hard on paid shares [see email at bottom of post]

some are now offering dedicated servers that are assigned to you but they are slightly more expensive, but they do allow you to download

We have recently found a Plex user (****), who shared media with you, in violation of our Terms of Service (https://www.plex.tv/about/privacy-legal/plex-terms-of-service/). Their account has been disabled for paid/commercial usage and the share to you has been removed.

In order to protect the millions of people who use Plex every day and ensure that it continues to be available for everyone, we occasionally need to take steps to ensure that our Terms of Service are enforced. "****" is not affiliated with Plex, Inc., and you will need to contact them directly with any concerns relating to this action.

Your Plex account remains active, and if you haven't already, we invite you to set up a Plex Media Server of your own so you can access your media whenever you want, wherever you are, on all sorts of devices. Take a look at our Getting Started information (https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/categories/200007268-Getting-Started) for details on how you can do so.

We appreciate your understanding and thank you for using Plex!

The Plex Team

Back