power levels causing glitches?

Hi all,

I am quite sure this is not my providor at fault here.

Running a Vu Solo 4k on Oscam, and Duo 2 on Oscam (can change to CCcam with no real difference). I check power levels (on 4k) and they are sitting at 100%. I questioned to myself if it is possible for the levels to be too high (ie above 100%) that they can cause glitching so I put a 6dB Foward Path Attenuator on the line at the splitter, and checked, signal still 100%. I then put a 10dB FPA on and signal went to 0%.

Not sure if I should trust the power levels on the box or not but how can it be 100% without FPA, then 100% with 6dB FPA and 0% with 10dB FPA?

Is it possible to have too strong a signal and have those sort of issues with glitches? Could it be faulty splitter? I'd rather ask for some advice here than spend money on things I don't need.

Way things are set up. V feed comes in to the house from box (which I have no access too) in to the house and to a white box, which contains a tris-102a - then tiny cable from this to a Antiference 6 out splitter. I use 3 and I have bought and put caps on the end to isolate them (F Terminator Connector Cap 75 Ohm), then a WF100 coax to modem, WF100 to Solo 4k and WF100 to Duo2.

Any advice would be welcome.

V broadband works wonderful and get full speed...

Thanks Jazzie_bee, I was not sure if it was the case or not. Wish it were easier!

Ste, I do have a superhub, but have no idea what I am actually looking at.

Below is my power levels.

Downstream 1-12 below -6, 2 at -6 and 2 just above -6

Last edited:
Power levels are too low - should be between -6 and +10 ... you're below -6 so try the splitter I linked you to first and see how it goes but you may need VM to amplify your power at the cabinet but yeah, try splitter first.

Thank you for that. I had thought they were too strong so I am thankful I posted on here! I have bought the splitter you linked me to so when it arrives, I shall give it a go and update the thread. Hopefully that will solve the problem...
Thanks again :-)

Also what are you getting glitching on? Is it all channels or just encrypted? Hopefully the 3 way splitter might help, or try wiring one box directly with no splitter involved to see what the signal is like. You can use your phone as wifi connection to check encrypted.

I plugged modem direct and power levels went up a massive amount. Ie 1 was -7 went to +3, 2 was -7.5 went to +2.5... With the old splitter they range from -7.5 to -5.7 (the only one above -6) with it direct no splitter, it ranges between 2.5 and 4.1. I plugged an spare splitter (had been sitting in a drawer for a few years) in and they all range from -4.2 to -2.7 however, while the glitching is a bit better, it still happens. Worst part is where picture will freeze but sound contnues after a glitch. Sometimes it comes back with a little pixelation and back to normal but other times it freezes, sound and frozen pic.

Happens alot on the HD channels

I can't get 3G/4G signal in my house properly so I can't wifi in to the box with phone to test that.

Last edited:
there are powered spliters technetix hdu, these do not lose much signal when split. you'll probably need the 4 port version.

Try that splitter first before doing anything else.

If your picture freezes, pixellates and comes back on - this is usually a line issue rather than signal.

I plan to ste, as it might solve the problem without the extra cost.

Is it safe to assume that the difference between the splitter and HDU is the HDU causes no signal loss when you split because it's powered but a manual splitter like one I am getting causes a few db drop?

I can watch BBC, ITV, etc without any issues though (all SD) so if it were a line issue, would I not have issues with those channels too?

With a standard splitter, you'll get a few db's loss but a HDU is designed to compensate any loss and bring it back up to the VM required level.

Different channels come through at different frequencies / strengths so wouldn't affect all channels.

thing to remember too is this,
dB is NOT linear,
a 1dB difference can be [rule of thumb] be taken as double,
so the difference between 1db and 2db is about double, which isnt so bad, but, 2db is double 1db, then 3db is now double 2db, still not too bad,,,,
think about it this way, how many times have you doubled that 1db loss at 5db ?
4 times, so 5db loss is actually 16 times worse than a 1db loss

That splitter arrived and there was not much of a change in power levels. A friend has a HDU he did not use as he moved and has no V services and what a difference with power level, all between +2 and +4 now... and instantly, some of the problems were solved however, as time went on, the glitching was still happening although not as bad.

Im trying to work out if this is a vix issue, or if that won't make a difference. Part of me is now questioning the server (although I have contacted them and they have said there is no issue at their end as no one else has complained about the issue) so im at a bit of a loss now. My signal is perfect, it happens on more than 1 box so is not the box but all boxes run vix.

Depends what it's doing as said, If your picture freezes, pixellates and comes back on - this is usually a line issue rather than signal.

On some channels, you'll get a bit of freezing - you'll struggle to find a provider where all channels work perfectly all the time.

i wonder could box have a wrong setting seeing that you are using oscam like the mg_cfg with a wrong setting,maybe someone who uses oscam can double check settings?

Back