powered external hard drive

marknewham

I have an external hard drive into the rear of my ZGemma And i want it to be powered can I just buy a Y cable USB and some form of adapter or do I need to buy a different hard drive can someone point me in the right direction thanks

I have an external hard drive into the rear of my ZGemma And i want it to be powered can I just buy a Y cable USB and some form of adapter or do I need to buy a different hard drive can someone point me in the right direction thanks

I think you have not had a reply beacuse the information you have supplied is a bit vague to say the least. Is the hard drive a portable one or a desktop one and why do you want a Y cable is there something else plugged into the USB?

I had an unpowered drive and had nothing but problems because of it.

The easy solution for me was to put a USB stick in instead - and for £25 was a cheap and easy alternative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had an unpowered drive and had nothing but problems because of it.

The easy solution for me was to put a USB stick in instead - and for £25 was a cheap and easy alternative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a portable hard drive plugged into rear usb and it works perfectly....ps there is no such thing as a unpowered hard drive it is either mains powered or usb powered.

Last edited:
Its a usb powered drive but i think that might be part of the problem so i wanted it to be powered by the mains rather than the zGemma

As I said, I couldn't find an easy way to do that - so bought a 128GB USB stick instead, which works very well - and I've no longer got a HDD on top of my zGemma.

Marknewham - I suggest a trip to maplins, get yourself a decent powered usb hub (tell them it's for a raspberry pi to power a usb hard drive as they have same issue as far as not enough current at the usb ports) it will probably cost your around £20-£30 for a good one. It also then means you can plug in other USB devices in the rear of your zgemma (maybe a dvb-t tuner for freeview or a dvb-c for cable which you'll then also be able to record on your box with)

Last edited:
Back