Premier league TV rights up for grabs this week.

Interesting times ahead this week. Reports of BT losing interest and Amazon having talks with the Premier League
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/01/04/amazon-holds-talks-premier-league-uk-tv-rights/

First Sky lost a bit of interest and BT jumped in, now they're losing interest....maybe it's not turned out to be as big an earner as they thought, and more to the point, they can forsee a bleak future WRT sharing / iptv / streaming and all manner of other sneaky ways of watching a football game for a few quid instead of a few hundred

Im very suprised sky aint approached each club in the premier league to have their own channel for match days etc and let the customer just pay to watch their own team etc maybe ?

Im very suprised sky aint approached each club in the premier league to have their own channel for match days etc and let the customer just pay to watch their own team etc maybe ?

i think they and some of the clubs would love to do just that. but the premier league has committed to collective bargaining.

would love to see a company like amazon get involved and freshen things up

Fair play to amazon if there going for rights to football just shows sky and bt can't handle the competition it would be good for bbc or itv to put bids in if they could afford it instead of been same businesses

Sky & BT want to pay the same as before but charge more on subscriptions, they're afraid of the competition which will force them to up their bids.
The loser will be the customer in paying more or having to subscribe to various companies to watch games.

Say what you like about sky, they have the best football coverage out there at the moment, BT is poor by comparison, I don’t think amazon would be any better than BT.
I think sky should allow viewers to opt to watch only the games you want, and only pay a small fee to watch individual games, rather than paying a monthly price
Just my thoughts

Was reading this morning sky sports are on about scrapping Monday night football to save on costs and
BT Sport could ditch their rights to show live Premier League matches as raised subscriptions mean they have lost ‘thousands’ of viewers
Company's chief executive Tom Patterson revealed that BT have a Plan B after negotiations have begun over the latest football rights

By Richard Forrester
4th February 2018, 12:02 pm
Updated: 4th February 2018, 12:04 pm
BT SPORT are planning to ditch rights to show live Premier League football after a dramatic loss of subscribers.

Raised prices for subscriptions are believed to be the main reason why the TV giants are thought to have lost "thousands" of viewers
BT Sport forked out a staggering £960million in 2015 to secure rights to show Premier League football.

They also paid £1.2bn to show exclusive Champions League broadcast rights for three years from 2018.

But the company's chief executive Gavin Patterson revealed that BT have a Plan B after negotiations have begun over the latest football rights.

Reported by the Daily Mail, when asked if BT Sport could survive without Premier League matches, Patterson responded: "Yes, absolutely. I don't want in any way to diminish the importance of the Premier League of course, but it is just one of a broad set of rights.
"We will be competitive but ultimately won't go beyond the price it is worth to us. We have a Plan B."
BT Sport also had rights to show the Ashes in Australia.
Subscription costs have continued to rise over the years and the cheapest package now stands at £28 a month.

Last edited:
I heard on R4 last week that Sky Sports lost £160m last year and £43m on Sky News. Sky paid way over what BT offered last time. I don't expect Sky to lose football but maybe they won't spend as much.

Wonder what would happen if SKY or BT failed to even bid for the Premier league rights this time around?.
Armageddon i suspect,
I think only a few clubs would be able to survive without big tv money.
Would be funny to see the Premier League s**** its pants,lol

personally, I think they are all missing a trick by not bunging Greenlight TV a not substantial [relatively speaking] amount of money for real road racing
ok, its niche, but it may surprise you how many people watch it online via ITV/BBCni etc

Sky and BT Sport pay £4.464bn for first tranche of Premier League TV packages
• Five of seven packages available have been announced
• Sky to broadcast 128 matches starting from 2019-20 season

4928.jpg

Guardian sport

Tue 13 Feb 2018 13.48 ESTLast modified on Tue 13 Feb 2018 13.50 EST

• View more sharing options
The Premier League has announced details for five of the seven live television packages, with BT Sport and Sky paying a combined £4.464bn.

The deal means that Sky will host 128 matches starting from the 2019-20 season up to and including 2021-22, while BT Sport has purchased only one package so far of 32 matches.

Premier League Executive Chairman Richard Scudamore said: “We are extremely pleased that BT and Sky continue to view the Premier League and our clubs as such an important part of their offering. Both broadcasters are fantastic partners for the Premier League and have a track record of making our competition available to fans across the country through their high-quality and innovative programming.

“To have achieved this investment with two packages of live rights remaining to sell is an outcome that is testament to the excellent football competition delivered by the clubs. It provides them with certainty and will underpin their continued efforts to put on the most compelling football, invest sustainably in all areas, and use their popularity and reach to have a positive impact on the sport and beyond.

“We will now continue the sales process to deliver the best possible outcome for the remaining packages of rights in the UK and throughout the rest of the world.”

Two live packages are still to be sold with interest from multiple bidders, including online retailer Amazon.

Can’t work out which 2 live packages are left.
No mention if BBC got the highlight package. MOTD.

From news.sky.com
BT, which currently shows games at 5.30pm on Saturdays, will move to Saturday lunchtimes from the start of the 2019/20 season.
The remaining 40 fixtures a season up for grabs cover mid-week and Bank Holiday football.

And up go the subs for sky etc because it's the punters that pay.
Reaper.
yep
they buy replica kit, then complain how expensive it is
they buy tickets to the games, then complain how expensive they are
they buy subs to watch their team, then complain how expensive they are
they want their team to win, then complain how much the overpriced primadonas get paid

who really is the fool?

Back