Probe Looms After GP 'Helped Patients Die'

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
Police may reopen a probe into a GP who was struck off for giving elderly people high doses of morphine after he reportedly admitted helping people die.

364.jpg

Dr Howard Martin's admission could lead to the police re-opening the case.
I just promised people that they could die free from pain and with dignity.

Dr Howard Martin was banned from practising by the General Medical Council for professional misconduct. The GMC ruled he was involved in the deaths of 18 patients.

He was cleared of murdering three people but could face prosecution again after the law was changed.

A legal principle which prevents people being tried for the same crime twice, "double jeopardy", has been scrapped in England and Wales.

Durham Police now say they are to consult with the Crown Prosecution Service over whether there are new grounds to reopen an investigation into the deaths.

Police may reopen a probe into a GP who was struck off for giving elderly people high doses of morphine after he reportedly admitted helping people die.

Dr Howard Martin was banned from practising by the General Medical Council for professional misconduct. The GMC ruled he was involved in the deaths of 18 patients.

He was cleared of murdering three people but could face prosecution again after the law was changed.

A legal principle which prevents people being tried for the same crime twice, "double jeopardy", has been scrapped in England and Wales.

Durham Police now say they are to consult with the Crown Prosecution Service over whether there are new grounds to reopen an investigation into the deaths.

It followed the 75-year-old, of Penmaenmawr, Gwynedd, being quoted by The Daily Telegraph as saying he gave fatal doses of painkillers to terminally ill patients.

Martin reportedly said: "I twice helped people die, not because they wanted to die, but because they had such dreadful suffering.

"Everyone else wanted to (die) - they could make that choice."

Martin reportedly said he was not a Harold Shipman - the doctor who murdered hundreds of his patients - but acted out of "Christian compassion".

"I just promised people that they could die free from pain and with dignity," he was quoted as saying.

"Most times patients and relatives were of an accord and wanted the patient to be free from pain and have dignity.

"In that scenario I would take control by keeping people asleep until they had passed over."

Police Superintendent Paul Unsworth said: "We are aware of comments Dr Martin is said to have made to the media in the wake of the GMC hearing this week and our immediate concern is about the impact on the relatives of those people involved in these circumstances.

"A decision will have to be made on whether there are any new grounds to reopen the investigation and any such decision will be taken following consultation with the Crown Prosecution Service."

Back