PSN Logins Exploited Again

axxxo

VIP Member
556.jpg

This isn't as bad as it could have been -- Sony's PSN hasn't exactly been hacked again -- but what can only be described as a glaring oversight looks to have forced the company into hastily switching off PSN logins on its websites. The issue? If you legitimately forget your password and need to reset it, previously all you had to do was type in your e-mail address and date of birth, then choose a delightfully cunning new password. Sounds good? The problem is that if you were a PSN member before the hack then both your e-mail address and your date of birth (plus a lot of other frightening stuff) is known to the hackers. So, whoever has the millions of rows of data that were exposed could, in theory, re-exploit any account. Sony was made aware of the issue and those pages are now offline again, which should make the Japanese government feel just a little big smug.

source Engadet

Wow, this has really turned into one big cluster now hasn't it?

$ony is gonna have their hands full with this mess methinks.

At this point, blame the hackers for the trouble, and then blame Sony for the oversight.

They've taken it down this time to hopefully protect existing customers from being hacked by the information obtained when the hackers took it down. So, it was definitely an oversight on Sony's part to allow the previous information to be used to regain customer accounts.

At least that's the way it looks from here.

Giving out free identity theft protection is gonna be very costly for them i would imagine!
Both for them and the company providing it.
Just one person could potentially cost them thousands if their identity is actually stolen! How many identitys did the hackers exploit again ? :)

Giving out free identity theft protection is gonna be very costly for them i would imagine!
Both for them and the company providing it.
Just one person could potentially cost them thousands if their identity is actually stolen! How many identitys did the hackers exploit again ? :)

could be billions

Maybe it's about time sony got serious and tracked the hackers down and make them pay for the damage they have caused, don't get me wrong I think the way way sony handled things was very poor, but these hackers need to be taught that if you screw with a big company there will be serious consequences, maybe some fines in the millions of dollars and jail time will discourage the little a**holes.

Unfortunately these hackers are the real deal as they say and absolute pro's i would imagine in the art of covering their cyber tracks, or making it seem like someone else did it :)
As seen before, when these big companies hit back more consequences seem to follow, probably best for sony to let sleeping dogs lie lol

Back