Query regarding filesystem persistence on H2S with OpenVIX / OpenATV

zfa

Hi all,

I've spent the last couple of days digesting as much information as I can about these receivers and think I now have a pretty firm grasp on things. Based on the recommendations here I will soon be buying a Zgemma Star H2 or H2.S and setting it up with one of the popular backup images whilst I find my feet (woosh or sucmnsee) with it all.

I do have one question - the box is actually going to be for my technophobe Mum. There is no way she is going to be able to FTP to the box to update config files etc. should a line change be needed and I also don't have an easy way to maintain access to her house so I can connect remotely and do it for her. So I was thinking that maybe I'd host config files in my dropbox (or wherever) and have a cron job on the unit which just pulled it down and overwrote the inbuilt one with the new copy periodically (or maybe just on system startup). That way comms can be kept between me and the line provider, I update my config file online and her box will update itself at some point and start working again. Seems the best way to make the hardware 'just work' for her.

Am I correct that this would be possible? That is are we running a standard Linux distro with full read/write internal filesystem where I could set up a cron job or init script? This won't be lost on reboot, power cycles etc.?

I know this is more OS specific than hardware but couldn't see a place for that so decided to go with a thread in one of the hardware areas, hope that's OK and someone still sees this!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Haha. Actually she's in Wales and I live in Australia so.... maybe?

My concern (never done this before) was more that if a line provider simply changed their server/IP for some reason mid-sub. But if you're saying that this doesn't (or even rarely) happens then that's my answer I suppose. As I say, i'm new to all this so have no idea if the need to change this file occurs every few days/weeks/months/never-unless-you-change-supplier-or-he-stops-trading.

Haha. Actually she's in Wales and I live in Australia so.... maybe?

My concern (never done this before) was more that if a line provider simply changed their server/IP for some reason mid-sub. But if you're saying that this doesn't (or even rarely) happens then that's my answer I suppose. As I say, i'm new to all this so have no idea if the need to change this file occurs every few days/weeks/months/never-unless-you-change-supplier-or-he-stops-trading.
Ah bit more difficult for you then :(
Yeah you can have some server issues now and again so you may need something.
Beware though I've had issues before when transferring new lines through just ftp even though the newcamd file I created was spot on it just wouldn't connect I was writing one and uploading about 5 times it just wouldn't work.
I ended up getting a old file named the same and deleting the text and putting the new line in...so for what ever reason my box seemed picky at the file my line was on.
I have looked briefly at remote access but it's a big security risk apparently , is there no way you could connect to a device of hers with team viewer and you can also connect direct go the router with a VPN but I'm not sure how as yet lol

If it is that temperamental then I may get her a router with a VPN server built in that I could connect to, good idea. She hasn't got any devices at her place I could remote into unfortunately so teamviewer etc. is out.

The sysadmin in me always screams 'script it!' when confronted with a problem so just thought I might have been able to let the box do the work and pull down updates but if I have to maintain remote access then I guess I can always do that instead.

EDIT: Actually I suppose these things would have SSH installed so I could use that, that'd be simpler.

I'm not sure if they have to be honest ive used ftp and sftp (whatever that is ) but can't see why you couldn't put it on anyway even if not through the plugins section.
Wouldn't that be basically the same as connecting via OpenwebIF or not

Back