Questions About Router

TazzyThor

I currently have a netgear C7000v2 and I think it's one of the reasons why I'm having buffering issues. I'm looking to buy a new router mainly for IPTV purpose. Are there any specific routers that I should get to help reduce network congestion? What features should I look for when buying a router?

Netgear are dam good routers. Not sure how old yours is but maybe a upgrade.

Iptv is ideally not suited to wireless so may be a good idea to try and create a wired connection.

Im a big fan of Asus routers that can run Merlin firmware.

Merlin firmware allows you to run VPN directly on the router on the fly and choose which bits of kit go through the routers VPN and which bit of kit go directly through your ISP.

My router is a AC86U not the latest model but still sold new, very powerful chipset and CPU. Using it with VPN yields very good speeds on my 350mb line i get over 200mb anytime and it can reach 280mb.

Good bit of kit configurable for any router aspect with Merlin installed.

Last edited:

Merlin firmware allows you to run VPN directly on the router on the fly and choose which bits of kit go through the router and which bit of kit go directly through your ISP.

My router is a AC86U not the latest model but still sold new, very powerful chipset and CPU. Using it with VPN yields very good speeds on my 350mb line i get over 200mb anytime and it can reach 280mb.

I second that an asus router with merlin. The bay does have some cheap asus routers just check on merlin site they support the router before buying.

I second that an asus router with merlin. The bay does have some cheap asus routers just check on merlin site they support the router before buying.

been considering getting another router, seems right up my street this, will have a look into the asus Merlin ones, the ISP provided routers normally aren't the best. The one Vodafone sent me does look pretty though!

Merlin firmware allows you to run VPN directly on the router on the fly and choose which bits of kit go through the routers VPN and which bit of kit go directly through your ISP.

The latest official ASUS firmware has VPN routing options, including Surfshark integration via their VPN Fusion application on the router. It's great and I'm getting phenomenal speeds on the devices I choose to route via VPN. Would there be any benefit to trying the Merlin firmware?

The latest official ASUS firmware has VPN routing options, including Surfshark integration via their VPN Fusion application on the router. It's great and I'm getting phenomenal speeds on the devices I choose to route via VPN. Would there be any benefit to trying the Merlin firmware?
Can I ask what model your Asus router is?

Can I ask what model your Asus router is?

ASUS RT-AX86U. Latest firmware version is 3.0.0.4.388.23285 and you can update it via the router.

This version has VPN Fusion with Surfshark integration, so setting up a VPN on the router is incredibly easy. Info - How to set up Surfshark in VPN Fusion?

Of course you don't need to be using Surfshark. There's other VPN options too.

I just have my IPTV boxes routed through the VPN on the router, to ease the processing load on the devices. Works perfectly.

Back