Questions relating to cable boxes?

channelking

Hi Im new to the cable forum on here, I have been on the satellite forum for a little while and due to the issues with the HD channels I have come to the cable forum. I hope the questions I will ask, that the great members with knowledge on cable boxes here can help me as I am confused about these boxes.

1. How different is the setup compared to satellite boxes?

2. I have been told by a few people not only can you get just cable boxes but you can get combo boxes which I wasn't aware of it. What are combo boxes?

3. Is it possible to get 3D and ppv channels on cable boxes?

4. What is the best budget cable box and what is the best high end cable box and what are the prices of such boxes? I have been told of there being many boxes but I havent got a clue which is good and which isnt.

Would really appreciate help on these questions as I really consider cable to now be an alternative.

Thanks but are all combo boxes freeview and sat or cable and sat?

Is the Amiko Mini Combo HD both cable and sat?

On that thread there are loads of boxes but I still dont know which is the best high end box. Which in your opinion is the best box? Is the Amiko combo HD the best budget box?

Also do the budget boxes have ppv and 3D channels?

Whats the setup for cable boxes? Do you need a cline and a nline? Where can get such a line as I assume you dont get gifts? All I see is requests for sat lines.

I know jack about combo boxes... Cactikid and bees will do that info..! But a kryptview...well.. You buy your box plug in your cable provider.(either vermin,telew,ntl etc..) Some bb and NO sub's... HD=250 and SD=150.... We don't get ppv anymore ( but bro we rinsed it with setanta and sly box office back in the day so can't complain..! Lol ). THE best budget box around..but must have correct null modem cable..!!

Ted I assume kryptview are just cable boxes. Isnt it a bit expensive for HD?

What do you mean there are no subs? I would I have thought it was.

Arent there any cheaper boxes be it cable or combo ones?

What is a null modem cable? Do u need that for these boxes?

kryptview have the costs included in price so no subs needed only the odd image update and rescan needed.
null modem cable is needed for flashing image onto kv 780
newer boxes like the hd phoenix/kryptview one uses a usb flash drive for adding firmware to box.

newer boxes as i said might do all 3 ,check the specs and the amiko hd combo can run on all 3 but will need a cam or two and lines entered.

Is it best getting boxes with sub or no sub?

Mate what do you mean by all 3?

Where can I get cabe c or n lines from?

A box with no sub is good as no more outlay once brought... But if you got cash knocking about then you can pay a sub... But why pay for something if you can get it for free..!! ( looking after the pennies and all that..!!) And you can get n and c lines from recommendations in here... Some nice person will pm you if you ask..!!

state that you want cable or sat as not the same!

some boxes have all 3 covered sat--freeview by aerial---cable.

skybox is sat
kryptview is cable

Last edited:
Sorry for confusion guys I am new on cable side.

I want a cable box but some have said best to get combo box which does both sat an cable?

I just want to know which is the best cable box and which is the best combo box if you could tell me? I looked at your list you put up there is so many I dont know which is the best one for budget or high end boxes?

as the boxes are new to most of us ,very little feedback on them be it good or bad hence why you need to do plenty of research,example look at all those poor sods that bought skyboxes and all those problem posts with issues on this forum alone,its also the same on other forums buy first then find out all problems.

also be aware if buying a combo or cable box you need a live vm feed as people forget when buying it and then find its limitatations.

combo box is good if you have sat dish ,motorised be better to get other things if 28.2 goes down? think ahead
cable side works on cable but needs a live feed.

if you already have satbox and just wanted cable just add a cable box into the mix but find a cable server first before buying box at least then your half way there.

@ cactikid

I appreciate what you are saying, as it seems alot of people are new to people including myself. In truth I have read alot of information about cable generally and have had a look at cable and combo boxes and have to be honest its really diffcult to understand compared to sat boxes. Maybe its because cable boxes are being used more now and people are still new to it that there isnt a huge amount of information.

I have a skybox, sure it has problems but its a great little box. With the cable box mate I want to get one with very little problems, I am worried if I get one which I havent researched enough on then I might have loads of problems. Plus I want something similar to skybox in terms of price but still good.

By live feed you do mean the white cable connected to bb dont you? If so thats connected to the router.

If you have motorised dish and 28.2 goes down can you view channels outside the UK then?

Can you get cable servers on here or is just sat servers you can get?

I also read that KV doesnt need a sub which I thought was strange due to potential problems. But do also cable boxes need no sub? Im pretty sure with combo boxes you need a c or n line.

live coaxial vm feed that enters house is split into 2 tv feed and bb feed.
tv feed by coaxial entering box to get signal..and from router a lan cable.

satbox is the same but cable goes to lnb and box needs lan to router.

yes motorised on other sats can be viewed but would need a multisat line server.

open boxes you can add server details into boxes so if it goes down you get another line entered.

kryptview are closed no access to add line as firmware is guided to their server only and starview and phantom be the same.
old dreambox 500c of years ago could add a line to view.

most boxes need a sub but read the specs as whats needed,freeview or freesat boxes maynot have cams/lines added.

no idea if cable servers are here i did ask

I never had tv from VM, all I have is the long white wire connected in the router. Does that mean I cant have a cable box?

I have skybox f5s up and running but really missing hd in my other living room I have vm basic package I I bought say a q5 box could I get all vm channells for free?? Or will I need a line ?
also I've read hd works on cable side is this still so

I have skybox f5s up and running but really missing hd in my other living room I have vm basic package I I bought say a q5 box could I get all vm channells for free?? Or will I need a line ?
also I've read hd works on cable side is this still so

You will need a line just like your F5s to get the $ channels on the Q5.

Yep. HD still working fine on cable.

one of the better boxes is called miraclebox and runs on vix image,depends on how much you want it and want to pay.
should be a post relating to names of cable boxes i posted somewhere.

Back