Questions relating to cable boxes?

Phantom is a closed source box sold with a 2 year sub as part of the price.

KV has an SD box and a HD box, this box has no subs and will last as long as their server keeps pumping out
the signal, again, closed source.

Miraclebox is open source, so you buy a box, the "image" or firmware is not supplied by the manufacturer of the box.
i.e. open source.

You then pay a sub to a server very similar to the sat side.

Advantage being, if your server goes down you can still move and your box isn't a brick ! In Theory !! lol

Seen subs running for about £80- 90 per year, bit more expensive if you pay 1 month or 3 or 6 at a time, usual discounting structure that they use.

Know doubt Channelking can get them cheaper !!! lol

Have had a look on WOS and am currently toying between the idea of the Miraclebox and Gigablue box. Not sure what the difference would be if I flash with VIX. £10 difference

I emailed them the same question and they said they are basically the same, same spec, different wrapper, up to you if you want to save that tenner

Last edited:
So bees are you pleased with your miracle box, did you get the combo and both sat & cable working okay, think there should be a new thread
for combo boxes, could you please give use your thoughts, comments on your replacement box

Seen subs running for about £80- 90 per year, bit more expensive if you pay 1 month or 3 or 6 at a time, usual discounting structure that they use.

Have had a look on WOS and am currently toying between the idea of the Miraclebox and Gigablue box. Not sure what the difference would be if I flash with VIX. £10 difference

I emailed them the same question and they said they are basically the same, same spec, different wrapper, up to you if you want to save that tenner

That's useful to know, thanks. If they're essentially the same then may as well choose the miraclebox given the 2 year warranty.

The previous owner of my house had VM and there's a second co-ax cable coming from the same hole in the wall, and it has an F to aerial connector at the end of it. Presumably that's for the VM tv so luckily don't think I'll need to buy the splitter/connector.

Looks as if the only combo boxes worth discussing are the gigablue and miracleboxes right. I wonder if you can watch sly whilst recording cable and vice Versa? Or do we treat the box as a single tuner, per se.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miraclebox seems fine, but I have only got the basics working.
Also I have only been running it for a couple of days, so no doubt
there will be something that crops up.

Running both a Cable and Sat line, channel list all sorted into groups with Auto bouquets, Cross Epg loaded.

That's about as far as I have got.

Amiko, box was my first experiment on the cable side, but I had the same problem as a number of people with pixalation on some HD channels,
If that gets sorted with a new firmware release then it will be a great little box.

So I upgraded. It wasn't a deal breaker with the amiko problem to be honest, and it's a basic box which is value for money in my opinion.
The equivalent on an F3 or F5 say on the sat side. A "budget" box.

But the whole point of the exercise for me was HD footy, and this one looks pretty promising.

Gigablue has the same spec, and are more established.

Compared to the amko, my new box seems to have a better build quality,picture quality and the remote feels ok.

So if you have the extra to spend I would pay it. I would compare it to my old BM7000, a good solid, mid priced box.

Haven't tried recording yet but I guess you treat the box as a single tuner, when recording the amiko box locks onto that channel and won't
switch between tuners, I think this will be the same.

When I get 5 mins I will try it.

Last edited:
should be able to switch tuners record on cable watch sat and vice-versa as i can do that on my saorview combo.

Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2OWlyGmADI

as i said lol

Dual changeable tuners
Premium Twin HD has two tuners made by Samsung to guarantee the best performance and quality. The tuners are changeable and you can easily switch between Satellite (S2) and our Hybrid tuners for cable and terrestrial (C/T2) - We are by the way the first to support T2 for Open Source receiver! With dual tuners, you can record one program while watching another or why not streaming it to your PC, smartphone or tablet?

Last edited:
Phantom is a closed source box sold with a 2 year sub as part of the price.

KV has an SD box and a HD box, this box has no subs and will last as long as their server keeps pumping out
the signal, again, closed source.

Miraclebox is open source, so you buy a box, the "image" or firmware is not supplied by the manufacturer of the box.
i.e. open source.

You then pay a sub to a server very similar to the sat side.

Advantage being, if your server goes down you can still move and your box isn't a brick ! In Theory !! lol

I wish mate lol. Thanks for plugging my name lol.

---------- Post Merged at 10:19 PM ----------

I am still disappointed the Miraclebox Mini HD combo doesnt allow you record and watch another programme at the same time.

So it seems for mid range combo box that gigablue and miracleboxes are the best ones.

So is the difference between the Miraclebox mini HD and the Miraclebox premium twin that the latter allows you to record and watch another programme?[h=1][/h]

I would have though if they use the same image, they will work the same way.

Send them an Email they are very helpful

Last edited:
never ever assume same image or crap will happen as different models may have slightly different image.

Over on one of the other threads there's rumours that sly Italia has a fix for HD channels and it's a bit of a waiting game to see if the fix will/can be brought over here.

Throws a bit of a spanner in my plan to get the combo box.

I'm in the same boat now as bees was before - have all the sly channels but would prefer sports in HD. Hence the natural search for other HD options via cable. But if this "fix" comes within the next, say, 3months, id be happy to hang on to my current set up. Not having HD for a few months won't kill me, but might save on a new box and additional sub. Hence why I said the rumours have thrown a spanner in the works.

Miraclebox seems fine, but I have only got the basics working.
Also I have only been running it for a couple of days, so no doubt
there will be something that crops up.

Running both a Cable and Sat line, channel list all sorted into groups with Auto bouquets, Cross Epg loaded.

That's about as far as I have got.

Amiko, box was my first experiment on the cable side, but I had the same problem as a number of people with pixalation on some HD channels,
If that gets sorted with a new firmware release then it will be a great little box.

So I upgraded. It wasn't a deal breaker with the amiko problem to be honest, and it's a basic box which is value for money in my opinion.
The equivalent on an F3 or F5 say on the sat side. A "budget" box.

But the whole point of the exercise for me was HD footy, and this one looks pretty promising.

Gigablue has the same spec, and are more established.

Compared to the amko, my new box seems to have a better build quality,picture quality and the remote feels ok.

So if you have the extra to spend I would pay it. I would compare it to my old BM7000, a good solid, mid priced box.

Haven't tried recording yet but I guess you treat the box as a single tuner, when recording the amiko box locks onto that channel and won't
switch between tuners, I think this will be the same.

When I get 5 mins I will try it.

Hey Bees, how's that miracle box holding up? :)

i wonder has anyone tried a konig booster to see if glitching stops=weak signal area?

Do you mean for the amiko ?

On the Tutorial I posted my Level was 99 and Quality 90.

I would have thought that would have done, but no harm in trying a booster I suppose.

Same feed qoing in to miracle box and don't have the problem.

I was wondering if it's the tuner or a firmware issue.

Just to finish off on a point mentioned earlier.

I have the Miraclebox Mini, when recording you can indeed switch between tuners while recording.

So as cactikid pointed out, you can record cable and view sat and vise versa.

You can also, record 2 programs at the same time, one on sat and one on cable.
You can't then switch to a third channel though if you do this.

Last edited:
Hi.
Can anyone help?
I am trying to setup an amiko mini combo, I have sat thing sorted but cannot get cable. Are there any tutorials?

I have the Miraclebox Mini, when recording you can indeed switch between tuners while recording.

So as cactikid pointed out, you can record cable and view sat and vise versa.

You can also, record 2 programs at the same time, one on sat and one on cable.
You can't then switch to a third channel though if you do this.

So can I ask what's the difference in functionality between the Miraclebox Premium Mini HD Combo and the Miraclebox premium Twin HD? Other than £60.

Aint posted here for a while. But after reading Bees post I have a few questions.

1. So is it possible to record something on one channel and switch over to the another channel on the Miracle Mini HD combo?

2. Then what is the difference between the Miraclebox Mini HD and Miraclebox Twin HD as Im confused on what the latter does extra?

3. Finally if mid range boxes dont offer the facility to record 1 or more programmes and then switch to another one then which is the best box that can do this assuming its a high end box?

Back