Recommended Cable box

well you will learn by buying cheap and not listening e2 boxes can have abm and a 7day epg and handier when you dont have to miss a program as it can be recorded.

well if you seriously don't need to record with 2 cable tuners theres an Amiko Combo box for £39 that's well cheap from sat shop uk - http://www.sat-shop.co.uk/store/

That looks good for forty quid, I'm not a tight arse but honestly can't see the point in buying something that's all singing all dancing, record seven channels at once, when it's not gonna get used...I watch about an hour of TV early evening while I'm having my tea, then maybe an hour late at night before i go to bed.
at weekends I'll watch a couple of hours of sport, footy, rugby league or darts, if none of these are live, i go fishing.

does this thing handle IPTV?

well you will learn by buying cheap and not listening e2 boxes can have abm and a 7day epg and handier when you dont have to miss a program as it can be recorded.

I just want something HD, I don't watch much TV, see my reply to Simon...Amiko boxes have an EPG? from:

http://amikostb.com/?q=product&id=210

• DVB-S2 Satellite & DVB-T2/C Terrestrial / Combo Receiver
  • One Conax Embedded card reader
  • 5000 channels (TV and Radio) programmable
  • External IR Sensor (Included in the package)
  • Mountable on TV (Sticker included in the package)
  • One High Speed USB 2.0 Connection
  • Ethernet Connection & USB WiFi Support (Ralink RT5370 chip only)
  • YouTube videos
  • RSS Reader & Weather Forecast Functions (Ethernet or WiFi connection required)
  • DiSEqC 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 and USALS Compatible
  • Full HD (1080p) Output via HDMI
  • Channel Recording to External Storage Devices (from one frequency only)
  • Timeshift support
  • Channel Recording & Timeshifting Simulteniously (optional, only from same frequency)
  • Channel switching time less than 1 second
  • True-color, User Friendly On-Screen Display (OSD)
  • Full Picture In Graphic (PIG) function
  • Electronic Program Guide (EPG) for on screen channel information
  • Subtitle supported
  • Teletext supported by VBI insertion and software emulation
  • Parental lock facility by channel and program event
  • Program and Channel information transfer from receiver to receiver
  • Multi-Language support
  • RTC (Real-Time-Clock)
  • Power Consumption in Stand-By: <0.5W

I'm thinking of a Zgemma h2h or the amiko mini mentioned above primarily for cable but also for iptv, will be ordering one or the other tomorrow...

Last edited by a moderator:
I just want something HD, I don't watch much TV, see my reply to Simon...Amiko boxes have an EPG? from:

http://amikostb.com/?q=product&id=210

• DVB-S2 Satellite & DVB-T2/C Terrestrial / Combo Receiver
  • One Conax Embedded card reader
  • 5000 channels (TV and Radio) programmable
  • External IR Sensor (Included in the package)
  • Mountable on TV (Sticker included in the package)
  • One High Speed USB 2.0 Connection
  • Ethernet Connection & USB WiFi Support (Ralink RT5370 chip only)
  • YouTube videos
  • RSS Reader & Weather Forecast Functions (Ethernet or WiFi connection required)
  • DiSEqC 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 and USALS Compatible
  • Full HD (1080p) Output via HDMI
  • Channel Recording to External Storage Devices (from one frequency only)
  • Timeshift support
  • Channel Recording & Timeshifting Simulteniously (optional, only from same frequency)
  • Channel switching time less than 1 second
  • True-color, User Friendly On-Screen Display (OSD)
  • Full Picture In Graphic (PIG) function
  • Electronic Program Guide (EPG) for on screen channel information
  • Subtitle supported
  • Teletext supported by VBI insertion and software emulation
  • Parental lock facility by channel and program event
  • Program and Channel information transfer from receiver to receiver
  • Multi-Language support
  • RTC (Real-Time-Clock)
  • Power Consumption in Stand-By: <0.5W

:grin:
for £40 that looks a cracking box
:(y):

I don't know whether I'd need a build on the Amiko? - I assume if i get the Zgemma I'll be putting whooshbuild on it. The amiko comes with an epg, will this be sufficient or is there other crap I need to download and swear at for a week?

I don't know whether I'd need a build on the Amiko? - I assume if i get the Zgemma I'll be putting whooshbuild on it. The amiko comes with an epg, will this be sufficient or is there other crap I need to download and swear at for a week?
Pablo ......... swear.......... never:)

Amiko is going back to the starview hd days opensource firmware & no plugins what a waste of £40 quid :LOL:

Correction !!!
Sorry meant to say dose not support E2 plugins ;)

Last edited:
tbh @pabloescaban I'm like you and watch verylittle TV , bike racing on a sunday really, and I'm sorted with 19e for motoGP and Eurosport HD for MX,
but my missus isnt impressed with it at all, :(
so to keep the peace I'm thinking of a cable box for her, cheap and cheerful is all I need, had been looking at zgemma H2H , but the amiko is nearly £30 cheaper
need to borrow the SiL vermin box tomorrow and make sure I have a feed, but as the vermin joint box is on my front wall, I'm sure that can be sorted if need be, ;)

Amiko is going back to the starview hd days opensource firmware & no plugins what a waste of £40 quid :LOL:

didnt realise that,
so its not E2 then,?
:(
will have to reconsider, maybe its going to be an H2H after all then,,,,,, :confused:

I watch crime and investigation or ID at this time of night for an hour or two, other than that it's Sky one at tea time for Futurama, then an hour of sport if there's a live game on.

I always remember in the early days of computing, retailers selling high end machines to people who send three emails a week and do a bit of 'word processing' when in reality a cheapo pc would have been more than sufficient. a top of the range box would be wasted in this house, TV bores me

If its cheap its cheap for a reason ;)
its not an e2 box

fair comment,
but until earlier this year Ive been used with a Eurovox and then an F5 , both basic sat boxes, Ive now got an Edision mini,
so, whats the difference between an H2 and the H2H ,?

fair comment,
but until earlier this year Ive been used with a Eurovox and then an F5 , both basic sat boxes, Ive now got an Edision mini,
so, whats the difference between an H2 and the H2H ,?

H2h is a faster box than the H2 more memory and a faster processer :(y):

Back