Recover Dead Openbox Flash Using Serial RS232 Null modem Cable

HiTecK

Administrator
Staff member
You will need a Null Modem Cable RS232 with full handshaking!.

05-03-2013 17-20-07.jpg

Wired like this:

rs232nullmodemlo4.jpg

Download this - Upgrade_PVR800_HD_Tool.rar - Downloads - TechKings

It is zipped with winrar so if you don't have it you will need this to extract it - WinRar - Downloads - TechKings

Open the upgrade tool it will open in WinRAR.

extracttool.jpg

Extract to your desktop or location of your choice.

desktop.jpg

You will now have a folder containing these files.

05-03-2013 19-07-24.jpg

With the box turned off at the mains plug the null modem cable into the box and into your pc.

Run the Loader named EromUpgrade and select browse, pop box will load select the abs file as below.

open.jpg

Make sure the correct com port is selected.

Now switch the box on and press NEXT then follow the instructions to load the firmware.

run.jpg

If the process does not start, try various time combinations of switching the box ON after selecting “next”

Don’t switch the power off or disconnect while the download & flash is taking place.

Is a dead box the same as openbox x3 stuck in load lol, was trying to upgrade tv channels.

Tried the above but keep getting wrong file when trying to add the file eromclient.abs

Thanks for any info in advance.

i cannot get it to load the firmware, each time i download it, from different sites each time i am told it is corrupt, the head is wrecked, i can download the upgrade tool fine, it automatically goes to desktop, it is when i open it the trouble starts.

I am in the same boat stuck in load after a channel update on f5s. I assumed all software was fairly reliable. Now I have to go through all this recovery business. How do I know which channel lists are reliable?

when i use the upgrade tool recover skybox stuck on load it says synchronizing STBS please reset target but i get opening serial port failed how to i get my serial port open , iv have the rs232 cable hooked up to my old desktop on xp open the upgrade tool put in the .abs files then i get opening serial port is failed how do i open it , tearing my hair out at this stage need help badly

hi if the skybox is dead ie no lights on the front and the ethernet light arent blinkin you will need a new power supply as i have had 2 dead skybox f3s and a openbox s11 going in the one week and after messing about with the s11 gave up so order a new power supply and it came back to life and as i had reflashed a few times i had scrubbed the line so bought new power supplys for the f3s before i messed them up lol

when i use the upgrade tool recover skybox stuck on load it says synchronizing STBS please reset target but i get opening serial port failed how to i get my serial port open , iv have the rs232 cable hooked up to my old desktop on xp open the upgrade tool put in the .abs files then i get opening serial port is failed how do i open it , tearing my hair out at this stage need help badly

When you switch the box on, does it say "Done" next to "Synchronizing STBs...please reset target!"?

Sometimes boxes do fail for reasons other than a corrupt flash.

Despite having successfully flashed many boxes over the past year, I have had an F3 & M3 in the past that have given the serial port error.

I have put it down to a fault on the main board & given up with them...unless anyone has any ideas?

nvramraider

Hello to all. Just registered yesterday...Although a seasoned expert in firmware/software mods to many work related gear...am a recent convert to the skybox F5s..have just messed up the box with my first channel update and with your help hopefully with my rs232 null modem cable and old laptop will try to reload the firmware...

---------- Post Merged at 10:55 AM ----------

My skybox F5s is stuck at "load" on power up..once my status on forum is validated for downloads I would like to try out the posted recovery firmware... I will share with my findings asap

Ive killed 2 boxes in last 2 months doing what ive done for years updating channels

Is a dead box the same as openbox x3 stuck in load lol, was trying to upgrade tv channels.

Tried the above but keep getting wrong file when trying to add the file eromclient.abs

Thanks for any info in advance.

hi mate. its actually 3 (as i was doing my box and a friends box (both Skybox s11's)over the phone. managed to flash my friends box and get it working again.
but i bought a V5S and after doing another channel update the other day, off it went again, stuck with load on display.
Its murder trying to flash the firmware in these boxes. dunno why you have to be so precise (to the millisecond) when doing them.
never used to be like this with the old Starview and Eurovox. God i miss them

Hello, i'm a newbie to this forum and i need help as my f5s has froze on load after updating channels list. I have tried rebooting many times but failed with no luck. Is there any way of recovering this box?

---------- Post Merged at 11:21 PM ----------

Hello, i'm a newbie to this forum and i need help as my f5s has froze on load after updating channels list. I have tried rebooting many times but failed with no luck. Is there any way of recovering this box?

Hi Im new to this forum and am having the same problem being stuck on "load" after a channel list upgrade , is the problem caused by a corrupt channel list ?

Back