Recover Dead Skybox Flash Using Serial RS232 Null modem Cable

Thanks for the reply Reaper.

I am on a caribbean island called San Andres, belongs to Colombia but it is closer to Nicaragua shores.

Those boxes are scarce here, so I'd have to order one from China or Europe and wait about a month to get it delivered. So I want to be absolutely sure what I am buying since returning is almost not an option.

My greatest friend owns/runs a hotel in Nicaragua "The Hotel Maltese" but he also owns a satellite shop in Malta so we know your location.Tell me your exact requirements and I will put you in contact with a supplier in China who may be of assistance. Please contact via pm as we are off topic here.
Reaper.

i have always deleted channel list first before doing an update to latest ver using a usb stick installed on skybox , openbox all versions always worked for me never had a box loop or stuck on boot mode hope this helps people having problems

I have a f3 sky box that keeps looping from 0 to 100 tried the the method on the first page but does not seem to be working ant help would be appreciated
thanks

So for some reason my Skybox F5S was stuck in the dreaded reboot loop.

I bought a USB to RS232 cable with the prolific adapter, unfortunately I bought the USB to male adapter but had a female to female rs232 cable lying around and was able to get a connection to the skybox f5s.

Issue I have is, I am able to follow the guide up to the point where it 'starts downloading...' The progress bar is happily coming along but for some random reason the box comes out of standby and starts loading which appears to break the process and then it just hangs at 11%.

Any ideas on what might be the cause?

Ensure correct erom upgrade tool and use the firmware for the openbox V5s found at www.yojiatech.com---also using a standard f-f rs232 is not the answer. You can obtain a small f-f adapter for a few pence from e-bay.If you can't get then e-mail me and I will send you one from my company store.
Reaper.

So have an update.

I ordered the 'Gender Changer 9 pin Female to F Serial RS232 Adapter' and attached this between my USB rs232 adapter and the Skybox F5s but I failed to get a connection. Tried swapping the gender changer the other way around and trying again but also no luck. The 'DONE' part does not appear on the loader when I click next.

The only way I can get the download to progress is to connect a null modem cable to my USB RS232 adapter and then other end into the Skybox, but you have mentioned that this is the incorrect way to do it.

Any ideas? The closest I've got is to 49% via USB RS232 and null modem cable and then box booted up and broke the download progress at which point it just hanged on 49%

Could there be a possibility my gender changer was faulty? Or maybe somethings wrong with the boxs mainboard?

I reinstalled a cline and after a reboot my Skybox was going to 100 then stpt and rebooting. I have tried a different power supply and its still the same. I take this means I need to reflash the box?

I don't have a pc with a serial port now I have had a look at usb to serial cables and how would I know which is the right one from ebay?

Also I am unsure whether the box is a clone - it probably is - its about 4 years old - can't remember when I got hold of it. So which software should I use?

I have read the first post but still a bit confused - about the correct cable and the correct software.

Back