Referee knocked unconscious at GAA ladies game

noelyf

VIP Member
Monday, 27 June 2011

A referee and a senior official were both knocked unconscious during violence which flared at the end of a ladies football match in Co Tyrone yesterday.

• 60.jpg

Two people were taken from the pitch on stretchers

• 61.jpg

Referee was attacked by a spectator

• 62.jpg

Simon Brady punched as he checked his score card

• 63.jpg

Ladies football chairman Martin Conway was struck when he tried to intervene

• 64.jpg

Tyrone County Board has condemned the assaults

The Tyrone County Board of the GAA has launched an inquiry after a referee and a senior official were both knocked unconscious when violence flared at the end of a ladies football match.

The assaults have been strongly condemned by local GAA officials.

Referee Simon Brady was attacked by a spectator at the end of the Tyrone Ladies Senior Football final between St Macartan's of Augher and Carrickmore.

The referee awarded a controversial free to St Macartan's in the final moments of what was then a draw game. St Macartan's scored and won the match by a point.

Mr Brady was punched as he checked his score card and was stretchered off the pitch and received hospital treatment for his injuries.

'I was checking my score card to make sure everything was in order. I got a tap on the shoulder from one of the managers wanting to shake my hand and that is the last thing I remember.
'It is absolutely shameful that this sort of thing has happened. I give up my time freely to officiate at these games. I am a volunteer in what is a pretty tough job and one that can feel very lonely at times.'

Another official, Tyrone ladies football chairman Martin Conway was also taken from the field on a stretcher - he was headbutted when he tried to intervene.

The Tyrone County Board has condemned the assaults and has begun an investigation into the incidents and wished the victims a speedy recovery.

Referee Simon Brady told RTÉ News that he had not suffered lasting injury in the attack.

'Personally I'm fine ... I suffered a bit of concussion that evening and was a bit confused after the game as to why i was lying on the field.
'Some people probably thought i was confused during the course of the game. But that's part of refereeing. That's what you have to contend with.'

Are people getting worse, or is it just me?? Yesterdays Dublin Vs Kildare referee was lucky to get out alive, he was attrocious. While I have often screamed and ranted at referees while at games ~(playing and spectating), I have never felt the need to get violent with them.

Back