Renault Megane... Hand brake seems to have ceased on

peican1

Evening all, I got into my car earlier and the handbrake felt strange, my car won't go forwards or back and the rear left wheel won't rotate, Would the handbrake have ceased on please??

quite possible,is your hand brake electric or a handle? look through rear wheels are your discs all rusty with a small area clean meaning pads are seized in carrier and you may need to get discs and bearings and pads,done 3 in the last month.

you did not say your year as older models have wheel cylinders and shoes,if brake fluid leaks backing plate will be wet and shoes will stick and brake fluid low warning light may come on.does your handbrake feel loose?

Last edited:
It sounds like the rear brake is ceased, take the rear wheel off and try tapping around the perimeter of the drum with a hammer and see if it will come loose. Make sure you have the car properly supported with jack stands.
If that doesn't work, you will have to take the drum off and see if one of the pads has come loose and is jammed inside the drum.
I'm assuming the car has drums, if not it could be a ceased brake cylinder or a pin has rusted inside the caliper slider and is causing the caliper to stay closed on the brake rotor.

Last edited:
thats a great help,drums or discs fitted to rear of car,its like saying you run out of fuel,car can be petrol or diesel,the more info you give easier to know of problem and we can assist.
checked brake fluid?

Point taken will give much more information in future, thank you for putting me right. The car is done now and it was the brake shoes jammed....

brake shoe jammed?they dont usually but seized cylinders or handbrake lever on shoes can,did you replace shoes cause if you did you may need cylinders fairly soon.shoe lining come off and jam wheel very common on french cars.

Yes replaced shoes cylinders ok at moment will expect them to need replacing soon then, thanks for your help

ok but keep eye on brake fluid as the rusted /pitted pistons are pushed back in and may leak brake fluid and then shoes and cylinders replacement will be needed.crap eh. lol

Back