Cable Replace HDD

jingo_man

Recent purchaser of my first Zgemma box, a H5.2TC. I have been doing some initial testing, etc, with a USB stick plugged in the back. I want to make sure it is fit for purpose before spending any more, specifically a new hard drive with sufficient specs and capacity.

My main use case is as the primary TV device in the lounge with the [default] OpenATV image on it, and then using the same device as the source for various Kodi devices on my home network using the VU+ PVR client (this has so far worked flawlessly in my testing).

What do I need to do when I get the new drive? I have already done the initialisation and swapdrive procedures for the above USB stick. Do I simply repeat this?

What impact will this have on my existing setup? Is it just EPG and Recordings on this drive? Any system binaries / plugins? Note, I have not done any recordings to date, and haven't even specified the folder to use for recordings to this point, in my initial testing.

Finally, are there any other considerations I should be making for the new drive? The current choice is a Western Digital My Book 1TB AV-TV. This is a powered unit, rather than USB bus powered (thought this would be beneficial?), and could get 2TB instead though this is just a capacity question.

Thanks

If you have done a backup then this will also be on the usb stick as well. Basically the USB stick is used for recordings, epg, backups and picons, all you need to do on your new drive is initialise it and set up swap file if you do that, personally I don't use swap file. Once initialised mount it on /media/hdd if not already mounted there. I then reboot the box so that the movie folder for recordings etc are added by the box.

Once rebooted run an epg update, using the plugin you have installed for that, ie epg importer and away you go.

I use a Toshiba 1TB usb powered hdd and have done now for over a year and not had any issues, some will say you are better off using a hdd with its own power suply but have not shown evidence why that is the case.

grog68,

Does your Toshiba HDD go to sleep after a certain amount of time? My external HDD has a sleep function but the sleep function doesn't work when it's connected to the Zgemma so the hard drive is on and spinning all the time.

I don't know much about hdd but too be honest, I have timeshift enabled so the hdd is going to be running anyway, I've not really taken a look to see if it's running when the box is in standby.

Back