RJ45 Splitter problem

Coconuts

I need to get internet to both my Zgemma and my android box preferably at the same time without have to plug in and out wires all the time. I have home plugs and I got an RJ45 splitter (Cheap from ebay) but only one side of it works, as in I'm having to plug in which ever device I want to use to get internet to it. I bought two of these and both are the same so I was wondering am I just unlucky and both are faulty or is what I want to do possible at all?

If you are splitting from the homeplug maybe best to upgrade it to one with a built in switch?
Failing that you could add in a small 5 port network switch if you have an extra plug socket.

I'd stay clear of the small splitters, it's not like splitting a coax.

Last edited:
aye if you read the small print it says switch and not both,nearly got caught myself in buying them.cant have enough network switches i use 8 ports at every tv setup so covered with expanding in future.

Thanks for the replies. Would you have an ebay link to what exactly I need to buy? Also I have an old modem I don't use, would that be able to be opened up someway and plugged into to the homeplug and act as a switch/router? or is it the homeplug is the problem? Sorry don't know much about these.

The homeplug sounds like it's working perfectly.
I'f it's an old modem/router (they have more than just one Rj45 socket) then you might be able to use that.

I'f it doesn't work straight away you might need to disable the modem function for it to work.

If you need to buy a switch just any cheap 5-Port network switch will do the job.

You can use the old router, but you will have to turn off DHCP in the router and also link in to cat5 plug and not the modem socket if you know what I mean? Plug an ethernet cable from homeplug into port 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 and the other remaining 3 ports will act like you want

Thanks lads, I'll try using the old modem l have and if that fails I'll get a 5 hub switch, they're fairly cheap anyway

l have the same issue here on one of my tvs and bought a tp link splitter from Amazon for £5.80. Its a powered splitter and works great.

Last edited:
Back