rooting a droid?

Naps420

what are the advantages and disadvantages of rooting a cell phone? I am looking into to doing it but would like some further information. thanks and have a great holidays

Currently, the greatest advantage that rooting provides is the ability to install powerful applications that require more-than-usual privileges to your device. Examples of this:

- File Expert which lets you access and edit /system on your memory
- SetCPU which lets you speed up or slow down your chip for more performance/battery life
- Network Spoofer / WiFi Kill to “troll” people on wireless networks
- ProxyDroid to connect to Wi-Fi networks which have proxy settings,
- Market Enabler to access Google Play in other countries (for specific apps)
- ROM Manager to manage custom ROMs
- Chainfire3D to run NVIDIA Tegra games on other, unsupported phones

- and tons more! Just search for root on Google Play to see some of the root-only apps.

Disadvantages

May damage your phone if managed improperly

As Uncle Ben once said, “with great power comes great responsibility.”

This is the quote that comes to mind after rooting your device. Gaining root access opens your device to a whole new world of powerful options. Powerful options that can, if used improperly, wreak havoc, mostly on your own phone.

Yes, if you install the wrong app or not properly follow instructions when rooting your device or flashing a new ROM, you may “brick” your device. Bricking, to be honest, is rare in the Android community but does happen so you have to be really, really careful.

Now, in the case that you do damage your phone, you take it to your local retailer and they find out that your phone was rooted, then they will probably not repair your device even if you’re not out of the warranty period yet. Rooting voids your warranty. You are responsible to take care of your device if you root it.

do you know of any sites that can help me in the root process? Also will i lose all installed apps, contacts, etc.. on the phone?

I think flashing to a custom ROM will be the only case where you might lose your data, if you just want to root your phone then it should just complete the process and present you with a "Super User" app on your menu.

As for helping with the root process, you've not mentioned which mobile you are using? (manufacturer/model/current OS version running)

Dan is spot on, give the make/model, and what version of android, and we will find the info and relay it to you.

Once you have rooted you can get titanium backup from the playstore, , back up all your data and then add a cfw if you so choose, hellium is another good back up resource

Another disadvantage is that any OTA (over the air) updates for your phone will not work with a custom recovery installed. You would have to return it to stock to receive them, however the developers are usually quick to release new updated roms so you can always flash a new rom over the one your using.
Most require full wipes, erasing all data therefore backups are essential. All this flashing can be time consuming so do plenty of reading before you attempt anything

have you tried sammobile or
Code:
http://samsung-updates.com/device/?id=GT-I9300

Posting of live links is not permitted

Last edited by a moderator:
So if I root my driod and it did damage or mess up my phone is there any master reset as such to remove any problems or is there any way I could hide the root to stop it voiding my warranty if not do you think it would void my phone insurance ?

yes you can reset to factory default setting there are lots of info on google it also yes it would void waranty, take extra care when rooting make sure you understand the prosses

Back