Router for IPTV

BT Fibre is awful.

Nothing wrong with BT fibre, I use it and my IPTV/Internet is fine. I had to get a Wi-Fi extender for a couple of dead spots upstairs, but apart from that, no issues. Had a faulty router once that's it.

Nothing wrong with BT fibre, I use it and my IPTV/Internet is fine. I had to get a Wi-Fi extender for a couple of dead spots upstairs, but apart from that, no issues. Had a faulty router once that's it.

BT Fibre has shit speeds and its a joke to even consider it fibre since you can get better speeds than BT offer on coaxial.

Virgin Fibre = 300mbps max
BT Fibre = 76mbps max

BT Fibre has shit speeds and its a joke to even consider it fibre since you can get better speeds than BT offer on coaxial.

Virgin Fibre = 300mbps max
BT Fibre = 76mbps max

So your point is BT fibre has slower speeds that Virgin......this does not mean that BT Fibre is awful, as you first quoted. I frequently run, IPTV, a laptop, 2 x tablets, 1 Ipad, 3 phones and an xbox/Ps4 all at the same time......all run fine, so how does this make BT awful. Yes, if I had Virgin, I could download faster, but for general use it works fine.

Your comment is therefore irrelevant.

Please explain how Virgin will out perform my BT Fibre on my setup.....bearing in mind that I don't download on the PS4/Xbox, apart from updates which are rare.

So your point is BT fibre has slower speeds that Virgin......this does not mean that BT Fibre is awful, as you first quoted. I frequently run, IPTV, a laptop, 2 x tablets, 1 Ipad, 3 phones and an xbox/Ps4 all at the same time......all run fine, so how does this make BT awful. Yes, if I had Virgin, I could download faster, but for general use it works fine.

Your comment is therefore irrelevant.

Please explain how Virgin will out perform my BT Fibre on my setup.....bearing in mind that I don't download on the PS4/Xbox, apart from updates which are rare.

Fibre can support much higher speeds than 76mbps yet thats the highest they provide. Aboslute shit!

Fibre can support much higher speeds than 76mbps yet thats the highest they provide. Aboslute shit!

Ok, Fibre can support much higher speeds, but your argument is still irrelevant, you haven't answered the points I have raised.

Ok, Fibre can support much higher speeds, but your argument is still irrelevant, you haven't answered the points I have raised.

My argument is your paying for fibre that only gives you 10 more mbps than ADSL, BT Fibre is a gimmick and nothing more.

My argument is your paying for fibre that only gives you 10 more mbps than ADSL, BT Fibre is a gimmick and nothing more.

Ok, so it is the value for money that you feel is poor, rather than the actual service that it provides. That makes more sense, maybe you should have made that clearer in your original comments, rather than writing off BT fibre as a whole :)

Ok, so it is the value for money that you feel is poor, rather than the actual service that it provides. That makes more sense, maybe you should have made that clearer in your original comments, rather than writing off BT fibre as a whole :)

I'm still writing off BT fibre since its like me selling someone half a dog.

Lets face it,you don't need 300mbps broadband for anything,it's just a sales gimmick.Most people I know don't even get 50mbps yet everything runs perfectly.Yes you can download things quicker but most sites capp the download speeds anyway.

Virgin has terrible reliability issues in my area and I know from neighbours it is down at least 2-3 times a month. I have BT fibre myself and as DT99 says, it is a great service for me.

Anyway, this topic is going way off point and is of now use to the OP. Sparky7ot please visit dsl checker as I mentioned in my previous post and post the results.

Lets face it,you don't need 300mbps broadband for anything,it's just a sales gimmick.Most people I know don't even get 50mbps yet everything runs perfectly.Yes you can download things quicker but most sites capp the download speeds anyway.

I would have 1gbps if i could.

Fibre is different cable from the exchange to the local cabinet in your area. From the cabinet to your house is still copper wire, even on Fibre. Virgin is the only exception to this.

Virgin has terrible reliability issues in my area and I know from neighbours it is down at least 2-3 times a month. I have BT fibre myself and as DT99 says, it is a great service for me.

Anyway, this topic is going way off point and is of now use to the OP. Sparky7ot please visit dsl checker as I mentioned in my previous post and post the results.
Virgin went down in Dublin yesterday just before grand slam rugby match. Many unhappy campers.

That is your issue then not the router. That sounds very slow for Fibre. Visit this page -

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

Put your landline number in and on the post all the results for the VDSL range A and VDSL range B rows

Had to use address and not phone number because im not with BT.

VDSL A - downstream high 20.1 & low 13.1 upstream high 2 & low 0.8 downstream hand back 10.7
VDSL B - downstream high 17 & low 7.2 upstream high 2 & low 0.7 downstream hand back 5.2

Last edited:
Had to use address and not phone number because im not with BT.

VDSL A - downstream high 20.1 & low 13.1 upstream high 2 & low 0.8 downstream hand back 10.7
VDSL B - downstream high 17 & low 7.2 upstream high 2 & low 0.7 downstream hand back 5.2

Ouch, that is brutal! Your speed is above the hand back threshold as well so there is very little you can do. Just have to hope that BT upgrade the exchange soon.

as Minty said above...if you absolutely cannot get more bandwidth from your ISP then you will need a router that has QOS to define the priority of your devices.

Back