satellite set up - where do you start?

As a total newbe to satalite, where does one begin
been reading the forums and Im totally confused, where does a newbe find all info on where to start,
what system is the best, and not get ripped off, teck terms are a bit confusing.
basicaly im looking to instal a sat dish, with a sat box, and be able to get some film channels, and expand the system if needed, Im not into sport so that dont matter to me, Ive never had sky and will never have it, but have considered free sat, but thats quite limited, vermin is a rip off as well, so anyone who can suggest where a newbe can start with his education into satalite would be a help....NOTE ive already started with reading the forums, but most posts lack detail
thanks in advance
tylercodie

If your not too bothered by sports you are probably best suited with setting up a freesat setup first and upgrading at a later stage. It's quite straightforward to set up a freesat box and dish. Have a read here General Satellite Discussion and also check out the setting up a dish guide on here also which will give you good idea what to do.

thanks Mooley, I will look further into Freesat, what sort of box would be upgradable and easy to upgrade later,
Been looking through the forums and have learnt a little

Well none of the Freesat boxes boxes are upgradable really. And it's a bit more complicated than it was flashing a cable box. Best bet would to maybe get a Dreambox 500s or similar which are very cheap and put an image onto it and you'll get all the FTA channels then you can read up on how to do more with the those boxes after you set that up.

No worries, let us know how you get on. There are many others with sat systems set up here who will no doubt help you out with the info you need. (y)

Well if you'd like to receive FTA, such as E4, More4, ITV's 1 2 3 etc. you need just to point a dish at Astra 2D (28.2degrees east) to receive those channels.

firmview

thanks for advice mojo, so I just put up the dish connect to starview and it will work without any firmware? the house next door has sky so I will point it to the same direction, :dunno:

any advice on which dish to buy and from where (y)

Last edited:
Any size over 60cm should do you mate. Check out Aldi or Lidl or any other similar and look for a FTA setup.

You could also ask some of your mates and see if anyone has gone from sky to cable or have moved into somewhere with a dish mounted. You would be surprised how many people have a dish and are not using it for anything!

First you need to know WHICH satellite you want and you need to then put in your co-ordinates so that you get the degrees from where YOU are to where the Satellite is in relation to you. You then fix your dish to point to it.(horizontal, vertical and skew-tilting your LNB-I hope you got the right one) Try Sattech.net or satinfo. Just goole a bit on how to set up a satleeite. There's one secific site that will locate satellites but unfortunately I cant remember it. You should be able to goodle it though by looknig at Free To Air sites (FTA) Good luck.

Back