Selling a private number plate

wooshman

VIP Member
This really isn't my area so am looking for input please.

The wife has a private plate off the car and wants to sell it. She has the v778 Retention Document and is in her name.

People selling on ebay are sending the document signed and dated. Online it says you can transfer it online to a vehicle or another person but it is all as clear as mud.

Does anyone have any experience in selling private plates? What is the best route to take once sold? She obviously doesn't want the plate to have her name on the documents once sold. Sending it signed in the post to me doesn't me the buyer would have to change the registered name.

Online it says you can transfer it online to a vehicle or another person but it is all as clear as mud.
Thanks been there already as I said in my first post and read that. Clear as mud.
Online it says you can transfer it online to a vehicle or another person but it is all as clear as mud.
Sell or give a private number to someone else
You can sell or give a private (personalised) number to someone. The number must be assigned to their vehicle before they can use it.

If you’re giving a number to someone, follow the steps for assigning your private number to someone else.

Selling your private number
You can use a private number dealer or sell your number yourself.

Do not share a photograph or scan of the V750 or V778 certificate. Someone other than the buyer might use it to put the private number on another vehicle.

This is why I asked for anyone with experience in selling plates and the best way to do it.

Thanks been there already as I said in my first post and read that. Clear as mud.

This is why I asked for anyone with experience in selling plates and the best way to do it.
Have you tried ringing dvla I think they could give you best guidance on what to do when selling a private number plate I suppose wouldn't the the owner have to register the plate to their car if that wanted to use it or am I way off mark

Yeah I am going to call them Monday if things don't become clearer mate. No you are right with it being registered to a car but to transfer to a car is there the option to change the registered owners name... this is the unknown bits :-(

Yeah I am going to call them Monday if things don't become clearer mate. No you are right with it being registered to a car but to transfer to a car is there the option to change the registered owners name... this is the unknown bits :-(
Should imagine they would have to register to their car just like registering a new keeper to a car shame my dad's in work I wouldve asked him about it as he as his own number plate but will ask him tomorrow for you mate see if he has any ideas how you go about it

i hope this may help you
Once the number plate is off the vehicle and 'on retention' you can transfer it to the buyer. The easiest way to do this is to give the buyer the Certificate Number, and direct them to the DVLA website here. This will allow them to assign the registration to their vehicle instantly online and in doing so, will transfer rights/ownership of the registration to them. Alternatively, if they'd prefer the postal method, then you just need to sign & date in Sections 1 & 6 or your Retention Document and post it to the buyer using a trackable postal service. This also allows them to assign the registration to their vehicle and transfers rights/ownership of the registration to them.

i hope this may help you
Once the number plate is off the vehicle and 'on retention' you can transfer it to the buyer. The easiest way to do this is to give the buyer the Certificate Number, and direct them to the DVLA website here. This will allow them to assign the registration to their vehicle instantly online and in doing so, will transfer rights/ownership of the registration to them. Alternatively, if they'd prefer the postal method, then you just need to sign & date in Sections 1 & 6 or your Retention Document and post it to the buyer using a trackable postal service. This also allows them to assign the registration to their vehicle and transfers rights/ownership of the registration to them.

Brilliant @thecrazybandit - it is the transfer of ownership we were worried about. Your answer is great, thank you.

Dont worry about the dvla right to inspection either its just if the vehicle has been used in an accident or drove off a petrol forecourt without paying etc :(y):

Back