sending Emails on iphone 4 via ntlworld/virginmedia

Linny40

TK LADY VETERAN
OK i have a problem ive tried vm forums but no joy. I have read loads of posts/threads but all to no avail.

I can receive my emails on my iphone 4 no problem BUT cannot send
my phone network is 3 (three) i have tried various smtp settings but all come up with cannot connect etc.
I have tried smtp.virginmedia.com, smtp.ntlworld.com and even smtp.three.co.uk
seems there is no support out there for ihpone 4 users in vm/ntl networks.

dont suppose any of you guys can help can you. I know some of you have iphone, and know that most seem to be on the o2 network
Both 3 staff in stores and over phone are clueless when it comes to this.
The only way i can send/reply to mail is to go to the vm webmail - not really acceptable whne i should just be able to click reply/send

If you google it just sends you to other forums - not much help really lol!

Last edited:
Hi Linny, have you read this,

Code:
http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1002&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=&USERTYPE=1&VM_USER_TYPE=Cable&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=37919

done all that weeks ago thanks H to no avail The imap im a little confused with as i can receive but cannot send. people try imap but that doesnt help to send
Sending e-mail through a mobile device
Some mobile service providers may prevent you from using Virgin Media's outgoing mail (SMTP) server to send messages.

If you have difficulties in sending Virgin Media e-mail from your mobile device, contact your mobile network provider to find out if they allow you to use our SMTP server. You may be able to get around the problem by entering the SMTP server details of your mobile network provider. Contact them to obtain these details.

Note also that the sending mail server settings you need to use will depend on whether you are connecting via WiFi or 3G. Again, speak to your network provider to obtain the necessary details.
speak to network provider lol! they are clueless!!!!

Last edited:
Have you tried

Incoming mail server (POP3): pop3.ntlworld.com , Port 995 and SSL enabled

Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.ntlworld.com , Port 465 and SSL enabled

SORTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally

Spoke to 2 different people at 3 ( probably in India ) who understood my problem.

I have now set up sending mail via threes server. 1st person got details wrong.
so for anyone having problems sending emails via ntlworld.com/virginmedia.com and on the three network you need to set up the SMTP as follows

smtp-mbb.three.co.uk
SSL OFF
port 25

I was just about to solve your problem linny by telling you to just chuck it in the bin!
Mind you all these smart phones give trouble now and then, having a major row and losing with my nokia e52 at the moment over the last 3 weeks!

ok well sorry i lied! it worked then but wont work now. Yesterday it would not send via three.co.uk.

I have set up 4 different emails with different smtp settings. Apparently my vm.com and ntl ones should work IF i add my u/n and password ( which it says is optional.

However i sent emails yesterday from the handset - great they all eventually sent BUT have still not been recieved at the destination emails addresses yet. I have even been on the vm webmail and they are Not on the server. Only one that does seem to be recevied about 10 hrs later is ones i send via live.com.
But this is crazy as it seems to depend on the 3g signal as to if and when they send
Axxxo my i4 is a fantastical phone its just apple and ntl/vm dont seem to get on lol!

OK NOW ive got it sorted i deleted all email accounts and started afresh using the settings below that i got from someone else - so thought id show you guys here the info incase anyone else needs it

My settings are as below and I can send emails fine over 3G

Incoming Mail Server
Host Name imap.ntlworld.com
User Name your username@ntlworld.com
Password your password

Outgoing Mail Server
Host Name smtp.virginmedia.com
User Name your username@ntlworld.com
Password your password
Use SSL On
Authentication Password
Server Port 465

Its the silly things in life that keep me happy lol! all i wanted was my iphone to do what i bought it for - and NOW it does LOL!!!

Back