Setting up a slave cable box.

bees

VIP Member
Hi,

I have a cablebox in the front room with a direct cable feed to it. Running Vix.

It gets the internet feed using homeplugs. This is my main box.

I have a back up box in the bedroom which I want to use as a slave, ( it's a combo, used to use the sat side before sky made the changes ) Running ATV.

It has a direct internet feed. No VM cable feed.

So as far as I have read people have been using "slave" boxes which don't need the VM cable feed as long as you have a main box running.

Question is I have no clue how to set this up, searched the forum and google doesn't seem to want to be my friend.

Any advice or pointers to threads which deal with this would be great.

cheers

bees

from what i can gather, the master needs to have 2 cable tuners, the slave utilises one of these when in use, which would mean anyone watching the master at this point, wouldn't be able to use both tuners (for recording etc) what kind of box is in the front room?

what box are you hoping to use as a slave?

use plugin remote channel stream convertor on the box you want the channels on, again you can only use what tuners are available n the master, if its a single tuner the master has to be in sleep mode,

If both boxes are using latest Vix then you can set up one box as the server and one box as the client. In tuner configuration there is a client mode button(yellow) Both boxes have to be connected to your network. Beware you loose the use of the tuner(s) on your client box. It uses the tuners of the server box.
There are instructions how to do this on WOS forum. search client mode.

You don't actually have to do anything on the master box at all.
Using ViX, just enter Tuner Config on the slave and enter the IP address of the master in Client Mode.
Can't remember if you have to reboot but it will then import the channel list and epg from the master.
On the slave box you don't have to scan for channels, import epg or use a line. It's all done on the master.

can this be done on open atv? if i stream from a h2h, i presume i can only watch what channel that box is on? Alternatively, if the h2h is on vm downstairs, could i watch sly upstairs?

It can be done on ATV via a plugin I think but I've never used it.
I'm pretty sure that the master box can have any OS on it.
I've only used ViX so can't really say how to do it on ATV.
The slave box just uses a spare tuner on the master so you are able to watch any channel that tuner can pick up.
My master box has 2 sat tuners and 2 cable tuners so I can watch anything on the slave.

from what i can gather, the master needs to have 2 cable tuners, the slave utilises one of these when in use, which would mean anyone watching the master at this point, wouldn't be able to use both tuners (for recording etc) what kind of box is in the front room?

what box are you hoping to use as a slave?

Main box,
I am using a miracle box premium twin plus,
2 x DVB-C plus 1 x DVB-S (which isn't used anymore) running Vix.

Slave
miraclebox premium mini
1 x DVB-C plus 1 x DVB-S running ATV as it's an older model that Vix don't support anymore.

I should imagine only one box will be used at any one time.

Ok. thanks for the replies, getting the idea now, so I just change the tuner config in slave to client, enter the masters IP address.

Or try the plugin method.

Do I put my line details in the slave or does it clear the channels via the master ?

Will give it a go when I have finished work :(y)::(y):

Last edited:
The master box clears the channels.
You don't need anything plugged into the slave apart from power and network.

I flashed my Octagon SF8 with the latest ViX yesterday and all I did was set a swap file and put it in client mode.

Ok, so, would this work?..............

Lounge - H3.2TC (Master) watching VM

Dining room - H2H (Slave) watching VM

Bedroom - H2H (Slave) watching Sly

I haven't tried using 2 slaves but I can't see any reason why not.
I've got a Vu+ Uno 4K in the loft doing nothing. I will have to have a play with it.
That's got 8 cable tuners so the world's my lobster!

Hi willo3092
when you get it sorted mate put the findings up here
I have ultimk4k and vu+duo i want to try.

On Vix, on slave box
Fallback tuner
is what you want to use,
along with
Channel importer

Set fallback to peer, it will find any other E2 box/es on your network, select the one you wish to stream from.
In
Channel importer set if you wish to import the EPG auto or manually, mine is set to manual as I only use it on my slave for the odd occasion I need to watch cable on it, or I am recording 2 programmes at once,
Using fallback you still have the use of the tuners on your slave box, so, in effect, on my slave (twin sat edision) I have 4 sat tuners and 1 cable so I can record any combination of 13 19 28 across 4 tuners, and 1 cable tuner

Quick update

Flashed my slave box with 4.2.30 which is the last supported Vix image for the Miraclebox Premium Mini and there is no
Client Setup option in tuner configuration, as it sounded as if this would be the easiest option.

I have it on my other box with a newer image.

Will reflash ATV 6.1 and have a look at using the plugin mentioned above when I get a spare half hour.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far :(y)::(y)::(y):

Ok, so, would this work?..............

Lounge - H3.2TC (Master) watching VM

Dining room - H2H (Slave) watching VM

Bedroom - H2H (Slave) watching Sly

Just tried it with My H5.2TC (master)

Bedroom 1 - H5.2TC (Slave with all Tuners switched off) VM

Bedroom 2 - H2H (Slave) Sat

Works perfectly with Vix using client mode -

Yes I can confirm that 2 slave receivers will work from 1 master. Probably more will work, I haven't tried.
I am only using ViX so have no idea about ATV.
The master is a Vu+ Uno4K with an FBC cable tuner, giving a total of 8 tuners.
This box is set up as standard with channels scanned, epg imported and my line put on.

For slaves I have used a Zgemma H2S and a Formuler F1 (just because they happened to be free, any E2 box will do).
I have just flashed the slaves with bog standard ViX without restoring any settings.
All that is connected is the HDMI and network cable and a small USB stick.
During setup I set the tuners as 'not enabled'.
Once the network setup is completed go to Tuner Config and press the yellow button for Client Mode.
Enter the IP address of the master receiver and press green to save. (no need to change any other settings).
The receiver will reboot and you then get the full epg and channels available on the master receiver.
No need to scan for channels, import epg or put your line on. It is already done on the master receiver.

I have currently got 2 premium channels running and Eastenders on 3 different receivers.
Maybe someone will explain how to do it on ATV?

EDIT: Bugger, someone already did! I must learn to type faster ;)

Quick update

Flashed my slave box with 4.2.30 which is the last supported Vix image for the Miraclebox Premium Mini and there is no
Client Setup option in tuner configuration, as it sounded as if this would be the easiest option.

I have it on my other box with a newer image.

Will reflash ATV 6.1 and have a look at using the plugin mentioned above when I get a spare half hour.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far :(y)::(y)::(y):
Client mode is available on Vix from 5.0.013 onwards

Client mode is available on Vix from 5.0.013 onwards

Thanks, but my slave box isn't supported up to that image.

Loaded ATV 6.1 and used the "remote channel stream convertor" plugin.

All sorted, working fine.

Could do with knowing how to tidy the FAVs list up as i'm not used to ATV and have
loads of FAV's loaded automatically for different sats by the looks of things.

I haven't scanned for anything they seem to come in through the set up wizard.

Need to know how to delete them, can't see the option.

Anyone got any ideas how I tidy them up ?

Last edited:
ATV has loads of German bouquets installed as default.
I just used to delete them all from /etc/enigma2/ and then rescan with ABM.

Back