should I take pro`s advice?

This is a shortened version of a previous post that got lost in hell somewhere:
Bought new openbox fs5 of reputable trader on fleabay.
Was advised by ebay guy we needed internet connection for box to work, I also got that impression after browsing this site.
So paid cash to ariel guy to alter satelite andhe told us we did not need an internet connection to get the box running but advised us that setting up the box would give us a lot of jumbled channels and alot of foreign channels and it would be easier to setup the t.v which had an in built 250channels and was almost as good.
We have at home bt broadband and the latest bt router.
So has the guy given us poor advice?
Its a shame because we are complete novices and we trusted the guy to give us solid, paid for advice and it looks like it could`ve been poor advice at best.
He was an older guy so perhaps he has not had much experiences with these relatively new giftboxes.
I have no issues at all running an ethernet cable from the back of the router to the openbox and I`m gathering it should be plain sailing from there on......wink, wink.
I have had it set up already and am getting all the fta channels fine it is just the sports, docs,movies etc that are showing the green dollar sign and saying scrambled.
Thanks guys.

...So paid cash to ariel guy to alter satelite...

Did you already have a satellite dish installed? If so, what did the satellite guy "alter"?

As cactikid says, to view the $ channels you need to enter a gift line & connect to the internet.

Not really sure what he was doing up there to be honest, we never got a breakdown of pay.
I pressumed he was altering the angle on the dish as I knew we had a sattelite up there.
He said twice that we never needed an internet connection, the more I think about it the more I begin to believe he has buttfuc**d us for sixty quid, should of asked the guy for a breakdown of what he done really but made the fatal mistake of trusting the guy .

So there are two guys -

1. The box guy, he tells you that you need four things-
A. A box
B. A gift
C. Internet connection
D. A satellite dish aligned to the sky satellite.

All above correct

2. The dish installer
He aligns your dish and runs cables for you. He tells you that you don't need internet, in a sense he is correct as he is talking about legitimate freesat connection not illegal cardsharing.

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk 2

If you have now got FTA, your dish is aligned ok and that's probably what your £60 was for.

You will need an ethernet between your router and box. If you have
got a gift, that should be it.

As cactikid has mentioned if you haven't already got a gift you will need
to request one in the above link, and put the information in your box to
clear the $ channels

Whooop whooop, say whooop whooop!!!!!
Have sorted everything now, it is all working fine and I seem to have every channel known to man.
How long they last I suppose is a different subject altogether, but for know we are just dandy.
It was a shame really because the rest of the household seemed to have given up on the box and it was just sitting there collecting dust and when the professional t.v guy said it did`nt need an internet connection I felt obliged to trust him, as most people would.
You would really have thought that the guy had come across that type of box before and obviously realised we did`nt just want the free to air channels.
Oh another thing the guy did was take the box away to check something in it, I know- we should of asked more questions really. Perhaps there was a breakdown in communication somewhere along the line which frankly would`nt of surprised me either.
Thanks for all your help, I am glad I joined the site.

Back