Signal problems?

Dani P

Hi all, just wondering if anybody could help. I've done my research but I'm still unsure what to do and I don't want to purchase things if it won't help me so it'll be a waste of money.

Our setup is as follows

line from outside in to bedroom upstairs and then it goes through a splitter which VM gave us and then in to a legit HD box, an h2h box and also in an edision mini os

The legit box seems fine for getting channels, as does the os mini but the h2h has trouble picking up certain channels in particular like 4hd and certain movie and sports channels, would anyone be willing to offer some tips if i tell you any readings that might help? the SGR seems fine on the os mini, nearer 100% on the fta channels for example, on the h2h it's between 65 and 73 %

I just don't know if i need to recable from the splitter to the h2h box, or if i need a new splitter or if i need an amplifier, I can give you any info you need regarding signal etc. but it's the understanding of it and what it means is what I can't do .

I'm willing to buy whatever needed if someone can help

thanks!!

Have you tried changing the cables between the h2h and th vm box to rule out any issues with the cable or the splitter
Also check you have the right area net id or you will have issues getting the channels to work
Last try a test off another supplier to rule out supply issue

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

As VM gave you the splitter, i'm assuming they gave you the correct one (Technetix 5-1000mhz 3 way)

What type of cables are you using? ... cheap mass produced thin cables are known to not be much good.

Did you get the NET ID off you genuine box?

Thanks for the quick replies guys. The net ID is 100% right, i got it from the genuine box. yes the splitter is that exact one.

I'll try the h2h where the genuine box is now and see how that goes, if it works fine does that mean I just need to recable from the splitter to the h2h? I know when broken down that seems the obvious common sense answer but I didn't how cable works..I didn't know if maybe the h2h reciever requires a higher/stronger signal than the edision mini and maybe the splitter could power the mini but not the h2h for example, maybe I'm just overthinking it!

The cabling from the splitter to the h2h box is not the original VM cable, I moved the bedroom around so VM only cabled it to the one side of the room and i now needed it in the opposite end so i recabled it myself, I can't tell you 100% where i got it from because it was a while ago so i can't vouch for the quality, I'm also using a converter which VM gave me to convert it from the screw in to the push in. Is there a recommended cable i should buy? I just didn't wanna buy a 15/20m length of cable and then it be no better than i had but as i said, happy to buy whatever if it fixes it.

I'll try the h2h where the genuine box is now and report back.

Some tuners are more sensitive than others so it's logical to think that the H2.H may require a stronger signal - especially with it being already weakened by splitting it 3 ways.

Try swapping the boxes around first as you say so it's using the genuine VM cable and see how it is then go from there.

Ok I'm back, I swapped the genuine box for the h2h so everything was the same via the splitter and channel 4 hd still doesn't work, I then unplugged the master cable from the wall socket from the splitter and put it straight in to the h2h and channel 4 hd worked but it was pixelating, signal was hovering between 69% and 73% the whole time, using wooshbuild 6 btw.

This has opened up a worse problem i fear lol.

I do have another cable here, would it be worth trying to replace the cable from the wall to the splitter?

Sorry for the double post but now I'm searching more on the forums, this seems a common issue with the h2h. as far as i know we have no problems with the genuine box which is why I'm not convinced it's the cabling, everything is pointing towards the h2h and its tuner.

The Os Mini is running like a dream, 97% on bbc one, 88-95% on HD sport channels and 92% on the sd sports channels i tried.

Last edited:
Tuners aren't very strong in them so they need a good signal - if you just had the zgemma plugged in straight to the wall outlet with a genuine VM cable and it was still pixelating, i'd look into power / signal levels... do you have a VM superhub? if so, you could get levels from this.

Tools I think... can't quite remember but it's not too difficult to find upstream / downstream levels.

192.168.0.1 in address bar
On first page you will see a menu saying check router status.
From there you can navigate to your upstream and downstream

r4h7MmJ.png

this it?

Downstream a little high. Probably need a attenuator to reduce it a little. 3 or 4db should do it.

Spot on those signal levels - well within range... is that will all devices plugged in?

Spot on those signal levels - well within range... is that will all devices plugged in?

Well downstairs we have a wall socket going in to a Tivo v6 box and the router

upstairs we have another wall box plugged in to the 3 boxes i have mentioned in the OP. genuine HD box, h2h and the os mini.

but yeah they're all plugged in currently.

Downstream a little high. Probably need a attenuator to reduce it a little. 3 or 4db should do it.

Lol based off what. You have no idea how far he is from the cabinet and what signal levels are required at his property...
Theres more to it than just comparing one number to a what works for someone else. He hasn't provided enough information (not a full range of frequencies, however I'm quite confident an attenuator will make things worse.

To the OP, looks like a HDU will solve your issue mate, zgemma tuners are not as good as official tuners.

Lol based off what. You have no idea how far he is from the cabinet and what signal levels are required at his property...
Theres more to it than just comparing one number to a what works for someone else. He hasn't provided enough information (not a full range of frequencies, however I'm quite confident an attenuator will make things worse.

To the OP, looks like a HDU will solve your issue mate, zgemma tuners are not as good as official tuners.

thanks mate, something like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Technetix-HDU-400-Virgin-Media-Signal-Booster-/222629645808

Where do i fit it in my setup mate, I'm assuming that one is right because it says 4 point so i can blank one off, does it just replace the splitter?

Back