Sky sports to ditch numbered, very interesting article

Sky TV is a dinosaur.....this century's AOL.
Its antiquated business model of relying on a dish in this digital age of on demand was never going to last, and maybe now, it has finally got the message people wont subscribe to a "package" when they only really want to watch one item / sport.

Mark my words - you will be able within a year or 2 to subscribe solely to golf coverage, or cricket only, or F1.
Its the only way to suck in the casual sports viewer who doesnt want to pi$$ away £50 a month for HD sports when they only want to watch sport X or Y.

Might sound a stupid question but will that take away the fta channels you can pick up through the dish. There is no fta through vermin so will it go down the same route?

What?!
Your asking if Sky by removing Sky Sports 1 to 5 etc will cause the likes of, say, Spike, CBS Reality, channel 4 etc to vanish?
What you been smoking mate?!

Might sound a stupid question but will that take away the fta channels you can pick up through the dish. There is no fta through vermin so will it go down the same route?

FTA on virgin is Available to watch, you just need to watch it in NON HD, works fine & free without SUB, Just not the HD Side.

What?!
Your asking if Sky by removing Sky Sports 1 to 5 etc will cause the likes of, say, Spike, CBS Reality, channel 4 etc to vanish?
What you been smoking mate?!
No I didn't say if sky by removing sky sports 1-5 will take away spike etc etc?? I asked if sky are doing away with the dish will you still be able to pick up fat?? Wot you smoking pal??

Does anyone know when this is due to come out?
There supposed to be doing it to try and stop piracy aswell such as kodi to what ive read theres going g to be sky football sky f1 which they already have like sky golf and so on and for other sports there going to call it sky sports arena so people can have the sports channels they like and supposedly from £18 a month that's what I've read about it dont know how or when it will happen as there in competition with bt over sports

£18 a month for certain Sky Sports channels but it does say in the article i read if you want all the sports channel package it's still quite expensive

Cricket is coming back to FTA on the BBC from 2020 a five year deal for England home tests, ODi and T20 every summer, Sky will also have the rights

If you want ALL your sport, nothing is going to change. They have made it clear its broadly going to cost the same.

There are what? 8 sky sports channels?
Instead of 1 to 5, F1, Mix and News, you will have the likes of Sky Sports News, Sky Sports Golf, Sky Sports Footy 1 & 2, Sky F1, and a mish mash making up the rest, so sky can finally see just how many people will pay solely for golf, solely for F1 etc, and use that data as effectively a profit and loss account, ie does the money those "new" channels bring in cover what it costs to buy the coverage. If not, chop. Gone.

Sky are using the excuse that this new setup will give the viewer choice.......it also will allow sky to wield the axe viciously on sports that arent bringing in the advertising revenue / viewing figures.......
Instead of diverse sports coverage (from greyhound racing to pool) I can see things getting significantly worse, with them only showing sports that make the back page of the newspapers....

Im getting Sky Q installed on Thursday. £24.60 for 18 months for the lot.
Started off with a f&f code, which got it to £35.
Then, when it became apparent id have to wait 3 weeks for an install, and i told them to stuff it, they knocked another tenner off.

This whole world will be a different place in 18 months. Maybe better, maybe worse.

Last edited:
If you want ALL your sport, nothing is going to change. They have made it clear its broadly going to cost the same.

There are what? 8 sky sports channels?
Instead of 1 to 5, F1, Mix and News, you will have the likes of Sky Sports News, Sky Sports Golf, Sky Sports Footy 1 & 2, Sky F1, and a mish mash making up the rest, so sky can finally see just how many people will pay solely for golf, solely for F1 etc, and use that data as effectively a profit and loss account, ie does the money those "new" channels bring in cover what it costs to buy the coverage. If not, chop. Gone.

Sky are using the excuse that this new setup will give the viewer choice.......it also will allow sky to wield the axe viciously on sports that arent bringing in the advertising revenue / viewing figures.......
Instead of diverse sports coverage (from greyhound racing to pool) I can see things getting significantly worse, with them only showing sports that make the back page of the newspapers....

They already dropped Speedway this season. BT do it now. Im told by the old fella that its not as good, even though they've still got Nigel Pearson balling his lungs out on every bend.

Back